Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took a road test in a 2000 Ford F-150 4.6. The 1-2 shift and 2-3 seemed fine, but when it tried to go into overdrive the truck chattered. I have heard all about the locking up issues with cars and trucks, is this one they have problems with? Whats the fix for this? Fluid smelled OK and was still red.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I doubt that OD is chattering, more likely the torque converter locking up is when the chattering occurs. Either someone put in the wrong fluid in, the valve body is wearing out or the converter is taking a dump. This assumes that you are not experiencing an engine misfire. I'd try flushing the trans w/ Merc V fluid first.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Sounds like converter shutter (which in turn means your converter is bad...and perhaps more)
You will be amazed at how well a 4oz bottle of anti shutter (friction modifier) works....but its only a temporary fix.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt that OD is chattering, more likely the torque converter locking up is when the chattering occurs. Either someone put in the wrong fluid in, the valve body is wearing out or the converter is taking a dump. This assumes that you are not experiencing an engine misfire. I'd try flushing the trans w/ Merc V fluid first.

Thanks. It almost seemed like an engine misfire. Pretty stout kicking, but intermintent. A local repair shop suggested a flush also. We can do that at school too. Maybe add a 4 0z bottle of anti chatter. Any ideas where we can get that? Ford dealer? Thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Just a thought- do away with the lockup function of the converter. It will throw a check engine code, but may be worth a shot. I did this on my V8 explorer around 3 years ago and haven't had a problem since.

You just have to snip a wire coming off the PCM.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Did it not chatter when in 3rd gear?

A 4r70w should be:

1-2
2-3 + lockup
3-4 + lockup

If it doesn't do it in 3rd as well I would be looking at maybe a band issue. Even though Convertor chatter is a common deal, the ones I have seen in the 4r70's have always done it in both 3rd and 4th. The only one that only chattered in 4th I found a real worm out od band.

If its a 2wd drive f150, can have that trans out pretty quick, and fixed all in a day. If your looking to buy it knock some money off the price of the truck.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Did it not chatter when in 3rd gear?

A 4r70w should be:

1-2
2-3 + lockup
3-4 + lockup

If it doesn't do it in 3rd as well I would be looking at maybe a band issue. Even though Convertor chatter is a common deal, the ones I have seen in the 4r70's have always done it in both 3rd and 4th. The only one that only chattered in 4th I found a real worm out od band.

If its a 2wd drive f150, can have that trans out pretty quick, and fixed all in a day. If your looking to buy it knock some money off the price of the truck.
Wouldn't it have an E40D in it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts