Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 93 Bronco 4x4. Cruising on the highway its wanting to kick out of overdrive for a split second but then it catches back into OD. Could low trans fluid cause this or is it electrical? Any ideas? Dont need my daily driver breaking down. Its push button Electronic OD on the shifter.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok. Ill investigate the TPS. It dosent seem like its when im accelerating it wants to do it.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like alot of people on the net have had a similar problem and have linked it to this "MLPS" sensor?? What is that and where is it located on the trans? Apparently ford sells an updated sensor and retrofit wiring harness for it. E4OD trans.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Put a MLPS Sensor on it

Put a new manual lever posistion sensor on it. Get it at your local ford dealer. It will come with a new hardshell connector to replace the old harness connector as well. price is about 60-65. It's on the drivers side of the trans right behind the linkage.

Mike.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the connector off and cleaned the hell out of it. Put a big glob of di-electric grease on it and drove to work. Didnt do it on the way to work. I did pick up the sensor from ford, but if it dosent do it again by monday. Im taking the sensor back and getting my $80 back. I remember driving threw a big ass rain puddle the other day and that might have done it.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$200 in sensors later and I still have the same problem. I tried to pull codes and it wouldnt pull anything. New IAC, TPS, and MLPS all reading correctly. Fluid levels are normal. We hooked up a Autoray scanner to it (Ford OBD1) and it kept saying that the scanner cable wasnt hooked up. Seems like the EEC-IV isnt sending a signal or something. It does have a Super Chips performance chip in it from about 7 years ago. Starting to think the computer is screwed. Any other ideas? Im about to the point of buying a new dodge...

·
Registered
49,832 Posts
Have you checked the pan for debris yet ? 4th gear band failures usually start out with random overdrive fallout.
$200 in sensors later and I still have the same problem. I tried to pull codes and it wouldnt pull anything. New IAC, TPS, and MLPS all reading correctly. Fluid levels are normal. We hooked up a Autoray scanner to it (Ford OBD1) and it kept saying that the scanner cable wasnt hooked up. Seems like the EEC-IV isnt sending a signal or something. It does have a Super Chips performance chip in it from about 7 years ago. Starting to think the computer is screwed. Any other ideas? Im about to the point of buying a new dodge...

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no. I might also add that when Im at a stop, like in a drive-thru or something, the truck wants to lurch forward and the idle raises about 500rpm or so. Its just acting fuckin weird on me even at lower speeds in 2nd and 3rd gear.

·
Registered
49,832 Posts
I am gonna go with the AOD it tired and in need of internal service work. Most likely your problem is a Valvebody cross leak Via fialed gasket or the unit is fialing and the trash is beggining to jam stuff up.

I would get someone who is Very familiar with those transmissions to go through it.

no. I might also add that when Im at a stop, like in a drive-thru or something, the truck wants to lurch forward and the idle raises about 500rpm or so. Its just acting fuckin weird on me even at lower speeds in 2nd and 3rd gear.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok. looks like im searching for a cummins with a stick! no more autos for me.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
ok. looks like im searching for a cummins with a stick! no more autos for me.
aw knock it off.
Nothing wrong with autos.
It is probably just tired and worn transmission.

You could have either AODE or E4OD trans, not AOD.

anyway, I know you mention that before but I had to ask you this...
Did you check for codes in KOEO and KOER? Lot of people I know always check KOEO not KOER. Major differences between KOEO and KOER.

FYI... when you install MLP, did you make sure it is aligned correctly? There is special tool for it but you can align it by using the scribe mark on MLP with trans in nuetral.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It wont give any codes up. I tried both KOEO and KOER. The scanner keeps showing that the connector isnt plugged in when it actually is. Its 4x4 if that matters any. The MLPS was installed corrrectly, we installed it in neutral and the lines on the keyway lined up. Just seems like nothing im replacing is the issue, and the fact that it wont let me pull any codes keeps me thinking its the PCM. Can a PCM go bad and still start and run the truck?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
It wont give any codes up. I tried both KOEO and KOER. The scanner keeps showing that the connector isnt plugged in when it actually is. Its 4x4 if that matters any. The MLPS was installed corrrectly, we installed it in neutral and the lines on the keyway lined up. Just seems like nothing im replacing is the issue, and the fact that it wont let me pull any codes keeps me thinking its the PCM. Can a PCM go bad and still start and run the truck?

No, it is not PCM.

check the fuses and fusible links.
Check cigarette light, if lighter isn't working, then please check and why.

FYI...you and others need to stop replacing parts. Malfunction codes does means components is defective.
It is only telling you that something isn't within parameters, specs or others.
Example....O2 sensor codes doesn't mean o2 sensor is bad..etc. It means you're running lean, rich or electrical issue.

By the way, sometimes you get dirty DLC connector. You may need to clean the terminals with tiny screwdriver or file. Don't force anything inside connector just clean....you know what I mean....

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DLC? data link connection? the scan port?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts