Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Thread killa
7,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 taurus, 3.0l dura tech, has a bad miss when damp or raining, any ideas??

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
Coil, 90% of the time, but some were a coil pack and some were individual, gotta isolate which cylinder for Indy ones, if a pack just slap one on. Could be wires also but could were brutal if it’s a pack

·
Former RJ instigator
41,540 Posts
Coils or moisture in the plug holes, you'll have to pull the upper plenum to gain access to the rear 3 plugs.

·
Thread killa
7,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just changed the plugs, two of them had combustion blowing past them, what the hell causes plugs to break like that?

·
Former RJ instigator
41,540 Posts
just changed the plugs, two of them had combustion blowing past them, what the hell causes plugs to break like that?
Piss poor design, same as the 5.4 engines that blew the plugs out, they make a helicoil kit to fix the threads if they're stripped.

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
6,484 Posts
If it's not moisture in the plug holes there is probably moisture in the connector for the PCM or the main engine harness connector. I've fixed many of these and it can be hard to see the moisture.

·
Thread killa
7,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Piss poor design, same as the 5.4 engines that blew the plugs out, they make a helicoil kit to fix the threads if they're stripped.
the plug it's self has the combustion coming up between the metal part and the porcilin

·
Thread killa
7,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it's not moisture in the plug holes there is probably moisture in the connector for the PCM or the main engine harness connector. I've fixed many of these and it can be hard to see the moisture.
where do I locate these and how to do I fix it?

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
6,484 Posts
where do I locate these and how to do I fix it?
Your going to have to look, the PCM is usually in the cowl area. They don't put it right on top with an arrow pointing to it, lol

You have to look at those connectors real close to see the moisture, it's easy to overlook it.

Use a hair dryer to dry it up.

·
Thread killa
7,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your going to have to look, the PCM is usually in the cowl area. They don't put it right on top with an arrow pointing to it, lol

You have to look at those connectors real close to see the moisture, it's easy to overlook it.

Use a hair dryer to dry it up.
Is it a big engine harness plug?

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
the plug it's self has the combustion coming up between the metal part and the porcilin
It happens often, doesn’t mean they’ve failed but it’s not good. It will still run fine and not have a misfire with that issue.
Have you scanned it to see what cylinder? Have you checked spark kv? Do you have separate could or a coil pack and wires?

·
Thread killa
7,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It happens often, doesn’t mean they’ve failed but it’s not good. It will still run fine and not have a misfire with that issue.
Have you scanned it to see what cylinder? Have you checked spark kv? Do you have separate could or a coil pack and wires?
coil on plug, and no light on right now...

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
Get a spray bottle with some salt water in it and spray each coil while it’s running, should be easy to find if one is failing.

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
will it show even with that big long rubber tube down in the head?
It’s usually the coil itself, but if it’s the boot it will be harder to find. This is why I said to do each one separately, when you spray one and it starts missing-that’s the bad one. Start with the easiest ones and work your way to the end, shouldn’t take much, 2-3 hits. New coil will include the boot

·
Thread killa
7,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It’s usually the coil itself, but if it’s the boot it will be harder to find. This is why I said to do each one separately, when you spray one and it starts missing-that’s the bad one. Start with the easiest ones and work your way to the end, shouldn’t take much, 2-3 hits. New coil will include the boot
will do, thank you!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts