Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a crew cab F-150 with a 4.6. I'm having an issue that I cant figure out. The truck seems to have what feels like a slight surge when driving along at light throttle. I have replaced all the coils, plugs, fuel filter and serviced the transmission. The truck always has felt sluggish to me. I installed a 4:10 gear to try and help it a little bit but still doesnt seem to have much power. No codes are present and no check engine light.

I bought an Edge tuner to reprogram for the gear change and hoped to get a little more power as well. The trick is now if I put in any of the tunes it throws the check engine light instantly when I try and drive it. The code says the throttle body. I have cleaned it inside and out and it works freely. Clear the code and put the stock tune in and its back to running normal except for the surging feeling.

I had similar issues with an old GMC truck that i changed the trans pressure solenoid and convertor solenoid and that fixed them. Do the Fords have the same type solenoids? What do you think the tuner issue could be? Edge was really no help at all.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have replaced a Throttle Body on a 2008 F-150 that had the same problems. Got it from Napa also. It was also throwing the Throttle Body code. I know it was less than 4 bills to repair it for the customer.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Check for vacuum leaks @ the PCV hose near the back of the intake IIRC. Not sure about your tuner issues.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I will go back and double check for any vacumn leaks to make sure. I looked up Napa and they offer a motor assy for the trottle body. Has anyone ever just replaced that?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Have you tried doing a relearn on the throttle body? Hows the fuel filter? Ever been changed?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not done a relearn on the throttle body. Is that something I can do or does it have to go to a dealer? Fuel filter has been changed less than 5K ago.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I dont recall how to do the relearn offhand, its been a few years since ive done it. Maybe someone else on here knows the procedure, or maybe it can be found in a web search?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts