Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
having fun
31,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres the scenario-buddy of mine has this 5 liter shitbox-

it had gt40p heads-trick flow stage 1 camshaft--explorer intake{cleaned up nicely and a forged bottom end--

a few weeks ago he hears what he swears is a broken wrist pin or something to that effect-after yanking off the heads i find NOTHING wrong as far as i can tell with the bottom end

i take apart the heads to find out some jack ass installed the wrong locks and keepers -the valves were now jacked up and the locks were dam hard to get out-the noise i think was the valves sliding up and down against the locks-theyre was awesome amounts of play there

herees the question

we have a set of gt40 iron heads-beehive crane springs-and he wants to get a new set of rockers-but he thinks switching away from the p heads and going to the gt40's will make the car slower than it was

--my theory is hes basing this already on subpar parts in the old heads--i think the gt40 irons are a better trade off and will allow better cylinder filling{hes worried about going to a bigger chamber hurting performance} and combined with all new roller rockers that he will be making more power-not less

so now we have rebuilt gt40p's and gt40 irons to play with-the beehives will go on whichever set we pick-ALSO we have a true cobra upper we can put in place of this explorer upper we had on it

please end this debate for us

what heads and intake would you grab out of this pile to use with that trick flow stage 1?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gt 40's! I run in NMRA Factory Stock class and we have all tried the p's. the gt40's are better!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I would pick a head and get a custom cam. I believe the cam will make a bigger difference than the stage one and probably out weigh the difference between the 2 heads. And yes, I know GOOD people who can help you out with a custom cam for about $300-320 for a 100% custom cam. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
508 Posts
and by better, i mean a tenth or 2 in the quarter, i've run both and the p's were better, but not by a huge margin. and each time i had a custom cam and valve train for each set up. also, every flow chart i've ever seen had the p's flowing better than the non p's. so IDK, i don't know everything, just what i've personally have done and seen.

·
having fun
31,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would pick a head and get a custom cam. I believe the cam will make a bigger difference than the stage one and probably out weigh the difference between the 2 heads. And yes, I know GOOD people who can help you out with a custom cam for about $300-320 for a 100% custom cam. PM me if interested.

not happenin,the guy said 1.7's would be most he does-

cams practically new,he doesnt wanna buy a different one

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Let him pick then.....if you do anything, make sure he checks the valave train geometry.

·
having fun
31,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so far the decision is this---use the irons--the true gt40's--with a 1.7 rocker-the beehives-and the real cobra intake

although we assume this will be more of a peaky powerband up top-hes realizing like i stated before--he had subpar shit and doesnt even know how the p's wouldw worked anyway with the correct valve train parts

thanks for the input,keep it coming if anyone has any ideas

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Sounds like he really isn' t interested in maximizing his stuff anyway. Just put it back together with parts that will work and call it a day. It will peak at 55-5600 rpm anyway.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Have about the same stuff laying around getting ready to put in a daily driver. Man I miss when racing was cheap, the gt40 setups are so much fun for a daily driver. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I like the reg GT-40's because I like to be able to use a standard header.

·
having fun
31,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have about the same stuff laying around getting ready to put in a daily driver. Man I miss when racing was cheap, the gt40 setups are so much fun for a daily driver. Good luck with it.

i like the ford shit for a nice daily car myself-

one of my cars has a little b cam-some p heads-tfs spring kit and an explorer upper

all of it practically fell in place-all that was needed was a 12 pack of beer

·
Registered
687 Posts
i like the ford shit for a nice daily car myself-

one of my cars has a little b cam-some p heads-tfs spring kit and an explorer upper

all of it practically fell in place-all that was needed was a 12 pack of beer
Had a similar setup b cam, stock heads, cobra intake and exhaust with et streets went 12.9 on motor and 11.6's on a dry kit on it's only 2 passes then sold it.. Hard to beat with $1k worth of aftermarket parts. I just picked up a cherry red gt vert with mint black tweed interior, all stock that needs some 40's and a cobra. Once i recover from the sunburn i'll get right on it lol

·
YB Hit man
3,367 Posts
I dont think it will make that big of a difference in it.The springs will help either way.I would sell both the intakes & go with an edelbrock performer rpm or holley systemax.I have a comp extreme energy cam[xe258] that works really good for stock & mildly modded 5.0s for sale,cheap.

·
RAKER
3,365 Posts
Not to get off subject but I am building up my stock 88 GT and its converted over to carburator. Only thing that the motor I got had in it was a b303 cam but the heads are stock and it now has full exhaust with long tube headers. Since I see two of you had the b303 cam in your cars do you think the cam won't get max potential using the stock heads and won't really do much or do you like that cam...what are your thoughts? I do plan on upgrading the whole engine at some point to better parts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts