Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how much power can safely be put to a four lug axle. Say a 31 or 33 spline, decent quality piece. I know it depends on tire, suspension, etc etc etc.....

Looking for real world experience. Some examples of what people have done.

Thx in advance.

·
Registered
15,649 Posts
Wondering how much power can safely be put to a four lug axle. Say a 31 or 33 spline, decent quality piece. I know it depends on tire, suspension, etc etc etc.....

Looking for real world experience. Some examples of what people have done.

Thx in advance.
I still have 4 lugs(5/8”), and I had a buddy that went 7.8’s with 4 lugs also 5/8” studs

·
Registered
53,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still have 4 lugs(5/8”), and I had a buddy that went 7.8’s with 4 lugs also 5/8” studs
Exactly the info I was looking for, thanks. How fast is your car? HP at crank, or at wheels????

Will 5/8 studs work with stock-type wheels (like 10 hole mustang wheels)?

Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
15,649 Posts
Exactly the info I was looking for, thanks. How fast is your car? HP at crank, or at wheels????

Appreciate the info.
Right now it runs 9.90 NA, on a small plate spinning badly it went 9.27

I’m not sure about the stock wheels, probably just blow the holes out though and get some different lug nuts

·
Registered
16,267 Posts

Appreciate the info.
I'm not familiar with the 10 hole Mustang wheels but a common aftermarket aluminum wheel that uses 1/2" studs and after market lug nuts will also work with a 5/8" stud. My Weld Drag Lites are normally used with 1/2" studs but I have 5/8" studs.

The 5/8" stud should just slip thru the hole. However, then you need a special lug nut that has a flat face. They sell them in steel with thick aluminum washers to spread the load and they have aluminum lug nuts. I use the steel lug nuts.

One thing you will probably find out is the wheel may "stick" when you try to remove it. That's because the extra clamping of the 5/8" stud will crush the aluminum face around the studs. After you get the wheel off, just clean up the hole slightly and it will go on again without too much force.

By the way - what determines stress on rear end components is weight of car and 60ft times, not HP.

·
Registered
15,649 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 10 hole Mustang wheels but a common aftermarket aluminum wheel that uses 1/2" studs and after market lug nuts will also work with a 5/8" stud. My Weld Drag Lites are normally used with 1/2" studs but I have 5/8" studs.

The 5/8" stud should just slip thru the hole. However, then you need a special lug nut that has a flat face. They sell them in steel with thick aluminum washers to spread the load and they have aluminum lug nuts. I use the steel lug nuts.

One thing you will probably find out is the wheel may "stick" when you try to remove it. That's because the extra clamping of the 5/8" stud will crush the aluminum face around the studs. After you get the wheel off, just clean up the hole slightly and it will go on again without too much force.

By the way - what determines stress on rear end components is weight of car and 60ft times, not HP.

I have drag lites also and the same nuts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts