Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I process of buying a 1999 f-350 ford dullie 7.3 auto. Truck has a us gear logo button unit and wire on the dash next to the colume. Its a red/round [about 3/4 in in dia] has us gear logo on pc under the button. a wire comes from it and disappears under the dash. the light? indicator the button does not light up when pushed? to indicate on/off. Have pushed it when driving numerous times -no effect? that I can tell. Looked under the truck @ rear of trans/driveshaft -does not appear to have any unit bolted on the back of it. Do I have a non-functional OD lockout? or what. I have no way to contact previous owners [older couple who pulled a travel trailer -so told by the seller I am dealing with] So far US Gear has been non-responsive. The trans acts and shifts ok. but will not come out of od unless i get under approx 42 MPH or really get on the gas ,so it down shifts. Any Ideas? thanks AL

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The US Gear OD bolted to the back of the trans like a Gear Vendors unit.

http://www.gearvendors.com/

If you do not see one of those bolted to the back of the trans then the OD unit has been removed.

To the best of my knowledge US Gear is no longer in business and stopped shipping OD units several years ago.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Sounds like someone took the unit off? It bolted on the back of the tranny in place of the tailshaft basically. Usually had to get a shorter driveshaft to make it fit. Same kinda basic deal as a GearVender OD unit.

Wonder if the seller bought it for the unit and is just flip'n the truck after taking it off?

That truck should have button on end shifter to get out of OD if you want to. That controls the OD in the tranny. Start truck and it lights up "OD", then if you want it to not shift into OD, just press the end of the shifter and the light should go out.

Lots of people got those units if they had trucks with 4.10 gear out back and went to get some mileage when not pulling a trailer. If I recall the other choice was 3.73 but for pulling heavy trailers that lugs it down too much. I ordered my 2000 PSD with 4.10's, my '99 was a V10 and I got 4.30 gears.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I pull my 28' box in double OD. 4.10 with a gear vendors unit. On the hiway with no trailer rpm is 70/1750 or so.

I think us gear might have made an exhaust brake, just seems to ring a bell . Look around the turbo/downpipe areas for something that does't belong. Was around a grand for the unit. It makes sense since they were towing an rv trailer they would use one.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I had a "turbo brake" on my PSD. You definitely knew when it was on, as it would pull the truck down pretty easily without a trailer. Never had to use the brake pedal, just downshift(6 spd). Can't recall the brand now, but it wasn't US Gear.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
My buddy had one it was a ex brake they used to make. Didnt work so he took it off. He had the gauge set they offered also. shit was old dont work

See if it has a big thing like a heat riser on the down pipe, thats how his was

·
Registered
698 Posts
I pull my 28' box in double OD. 4.10 with a gear vendors unit. On the hiway with no trailer rpm is 70/1750 or so.

I think us gear might have made an exhaust brake, just seems to ring a bell . Look around the turbo/downpipe areas for something that does't belong. Was around a grand for the unit. It makes sense since they were towing an rv trailer they would use one.
did i just read that right u pull a enclosed 28 foot trailer in double over drive?? holi hell thats ballsie not sure if u have a egt gauge but if you do your lucky you still got exhaust valves in it i to have a gear venders under over basically use double over with nothing on back of truck or third over with big nasty mountain with alotta weight on back hell in double over the truck would probibly do 130 mph or so but big thing thats nice is it;ll get 20 to 21 mpg in double over 75 mph

1 - 8 of 8 Posts