Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking of getting one for my son to have at college. He says carrying groceries and fishing poles/bow on his bike sucks. If I get him the sport trac I get his '94 cobra. He doesn't want to bring the cobra to Columbus Ohio and subject it to the snow.
I've looked at two so far, and have seen the center console busted on both, drove one with 112K on it and the front end was making noise. Anything else to look for on these?? How reliable is the 4.0V6?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I've seen a bunch of timing chain problems with the 4.0 overhead cam engines.
4.0 in block cam engines have less power but give a good service life.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah definitely avoid the explorer, no doubt it needs upper/lower ball joints, wheel bearings, right around that mileage the tranny will take a shit on 7 out of 10 of them too. As technitions we love them!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its not the engine you hsve to worry about its the transmision, have replaced and rebuilt many 5R55 transmissions in explorers with the 4.0

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
5R55's are EXPENSIVE even junkyard ones. The 4.0 is alrite but your basically driving a ranger so Front end stuff also. Wheel bearings and ball joints.

·
Creepy Ass ******
5,801 Posts
Timing chain guides, transmissions, front end parts and hvac temperature doors. The front end parts are gravy, everything else is $$$$

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I have an Explorer, but not the sport trak. The guy before me put a new tranny in it, less than a year later the timing cassette went out of it on the right rear
4.0 SOHC engine is a nightmare to swap, so he got fed up and dumped it. Got it dirt cheap.. I bought a nice engine with low km's on it, but it was not a fun job to do the engine swap
Runs nice now though,,,no real issues in the past year, just basic maint

·
Registered
255 Posts
Timing chain and guides, are an issue on 2002 and older. 2003 & Later had the TSB fix. Front hubs need to be replaced around 90K, don't replace with the cheap Chinese hubs, Timkens are the only way to go, control arms and tie rods are easy and cheap. Trans has been no problem for me, with a lift and 33's and beating the crap out of it at the Sand Dunes every other weekend. All in all very happy with the Sport Trac.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info fellas!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had a 2006 Mustang with the same 4.0L V6 and the 5R55 transmission. I drove it for 203,000 miles with very few problems - and that was after running a 75 shot of nitrous on it, pulling that off at 90,000 miles and putting the Xcharger Xtreme supercharger on it with 12lbs of boost. When I sold it the car still ran mid 12's. The new owner said it has 212,000 on it now and has had no problems.

You do have to check the thermostat housing. That is a common failure point on the 4.0. It splits at the back and blows the coolant under the intake manifold so is hard to spot. Most people get a smell of coolant, notice some missing from the bottle but can't find the leak. Once it goes though it will be a geyser. Mine held out for 199,880 miles and then blew on me with no warning ahead of time.

·
T5 & T56 building fool
25,285 Posts
I drive a 2005 and other than a transmission, harmonic balancer, battery and thermostat housing, its been a good truck.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Make sure you check the body to frame mounting bushings, just changed those on a 2004 with 70,000 miles. Also had to replace broken sway bar end links. It is my dads truck and other than that been trouble free. The frame mounts are a big deal just google it they just crumble apart.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Had a 1997 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC, it was when they had a TSB about the chain tensioner. Bought it from a Linc Merc dealer, it had a tick in the engine at 72K when I bought it.I took it to the Ford dealer on the test drive and my buddys there said it was most likely the tensioner $25 part. A few weeks after I bought it Ford decided to do a extended warranty-policy on them and fixed it for free.
We sold it with 212K and last I heard it was still going at over 225K. Never had trans, engine or suspension work. Power steering hoses were the worst problem it had.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
One of the guys I have wheeled with before has one that he swapped a 4bt cummins into now, it is a really cool little truck. I think he blew up the 4.0 that was in it but I'm not sure.

·
Plain & Simple
1,529 Posts
I've got a 95 Explorer with the 4.0 and automatic.
It currently has 198,xxx miles with the original automatic trans.

The only problems I've had is,the tensioner pulley and fuel pump.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts