Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a ford guy.
My buddy has a 2500-pound maverick, he's building a 406 W for it. He had a set of edelbrock perf rpm heads, a single plane manifold (not sure of the brand) Pistons are 10;75 to 1
Car has a glide and a 9 inch with 4.11 gears.
He wants to go hydraulic roller. He has numbers for an edelbrock cam (230 dur and .530 lift.)
I told him he could probabally do better with a cam.
Any suggestions?
thx

·
Registered
895 Posts
That’s too small IMO.
is it race only. ? Street strip?
Lots of good options from the comp, lunati and TFS catalogue. Of course depending what springs are on the heads etc etc.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts

Those are small heads for an engine that size. To make it work, it will need a cam that can get everything those heads can offer. I'd probably do a small solid roller, those heads are going to need the spring package upgraded regardless.

At that weight and ci, right cam and converter, low 10's. That is, assuming its tuned correctly.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys
Race only, I think the converter is around 5000. He's saying he wants to turn it 65-6700. Wants to stay hydraulic roller (I don't know why!) Car has a 26 inch tire on it. I'm not sure he'll have enough rpms.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Thanks for the replys
Race only, I think the converter is around 5000. He's saying he wants to turn it 65-6700. Wants to stay hydraulic roller (I don't know why!) Car has a 26 inch tire on it. I'm not sure he'll have enough rpms.
With those heads, 6700 might not happen except maybe through the traps. Typical stroker Windsors with small heads peak a little below 6000 and fall off after that.

That rpm isn't typically a problem with a hydraulic roller. The problem will probably be getting the right lobe to make those heads and cam work together, that isn't going to require an overly expensive lifter and spring package. A solid roller would make it easier.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Thanks for the referrals guys.

Should be able to help out.

Those are small heads for an engine that size. To make it work, it will need a cam that can get everything those heads can offer. I'd probably do a small solid roller, those heads are going to need the spring package upgraded regardless.

At that weight and ci, right cam and converter, low 10's. That is, assuming its tuned correctly.
Call Ed Curtis at Flowtech Induction. He can help you get the most out of this package for your intended goal.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Best thing to do is probably sell those heads and get something more appropriately sized, 302 parts make 302 power.

Reactions: ndmp40

·
Long Live The King
101,417 Posts
What's the most CFM he can expect out of those castings ?

275 cfm ?

·
Registered
27,592 Posts
What's the most CFM he can expect out of those castings ?

275 cfm ?
I don’t know much about Fords, but If that’s the cfm he has, he has plenty to do what he wants to do, at that low rpm. In my opinion. But the right cam will be crucial.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts