Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my housing back fixed in the next 2 days. The center section I have is a cast iron case with ford 3.70:1 gears, it is a Detroit light weight locker. I had the center section professionally setup 3 yrs ago and it has been keep sealed in a storage case. I took it out to look at it all still looks brand new as it should since it all is except the gears. My main question is what gear lube do most prefer to run with a locker like this? Detroit said the recommend synthetic gear lube. but did not give me specific weight of oil, they did say that is determined by the climate you live in and use. They did say posi additive was not needed. So I am asking what to use here hopping to get some good answers.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One thing this is a full floating axle so the wheel bearings also bathe in the same oil as the gears this is not a grease type setup. SO the oil has to keep those bearings lubricated and cool as well.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Synthetics don't have much body to them I run 85-90-140 in my vega, gears look perfect with a 1000 hp and trans brake
what brand?
I looked up some of this and the best stuff out there seems to be amsoil from the testing I seen Mobil1 was decent and some of the valvoline products where not bad but their non synthetic was better then the synthetic in the test. I was thinking of trying the mobil1 but never really gave this kinda lube much thought.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
80-90W GL-5 Non-Synthetic
just bought some center studs from you last night on ebay lol. got most the parts for this 9" from you that I did not have. now I need to find the flange bolts for it. any way I need those studs to get this thing back together seems two fell out between here and the shop that fixed the broken spindle. would have been nice to just find 2 studs local but noone had them and the only shop that carries them was out of stock and only sells them in sets anyway.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
funny thing the first tech at Eaton said synthetic but when I looked at the FAQ it said only use non synthetic oil with this locker. So I called and asked again and they said synthetic is not recommended with this type of locker because it needs the thicker oil to function properly and to keep noise down some, they warned me this locker is very noisy on the street and takes some getting used to. oh and they said 80-90 is fine.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I decided to to run the part number on this locker and I feel like a non well informed person lol I got this rear end from a circle track racer and just went on his word what the parts where. I am now learning the guy did not know anything. SO this "locker" did look strange to me and so I did some research of my own. Turns out this is not a locker but a DPI platinum track differential. these are apparently popular with the circle track and road course racers. This is a torsion style? limited slip differential, but is made in the USA and said to handle 700-750 HP I am gonna contact DPI when they open later today to find out more. It is supposed to be low maintenance with no clutches I been reading everything I can about them hope it will hold up to drag racing, seems a pretty nice looking unit very light weight. Just another part that was not what he said it was. Only thing that gets me about it is guy who installed it at 4 wheel parts never said anything about it not being a Detroit locker when he installed it. A nother live and learn situation.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ got a hold of DPI and they say it is the DPI black gold version, based off the numbers on it. They said it will do fine in a drag racing situation but will be best on the street since it is a torque sensing unit. They also said they no longer make parts for this model but they are a torsion style so they should never need any maintenance. They recommend JOE Gibbs Driven synthetic 75-110 gear oil but said any good synthetic will do. They also have an additive they call DPI liquid gold they recommend running in it for break in and cooling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts