Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a vega wagon with a 9" it has 4.10 gears. Is there a way to tell without taking it apart if it is small pinion or large pinion. Thanx John

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car has the 4.10s and 33" x 14.5" x 15" hoosier slicks. Will be installing my 600 hp 383, powerglide and 5800 converter. What gear ratio would you guys and gals suggest. plans are to shift at 7000 and would like to cross the stripe at about 7500. Thanx JOHN

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Check the pinion stem and nut. If the nut takes 1-7/16" or 1-1/2" socket, it is the big pinion. The small pinion nut is something around 1-1/8" or 1-1/4".

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the info guys.

·
Registered
545 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for the link

·
Registered
3,570 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yea, sorry Arron, I have a nasty habit of reading the whole question sometimes.

What gear ratio would you guys and gals suggest. plans are to shift at 7000 and would like to cross the stripe at about 7500. Thanx JOHN

This would be the question I was refering to. The OP sent a thanx for the link and it somehow offended you enough to respond. I guess you won't get to wear Randy's Halo this month. ...........Toni

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1/4 mile

·
Registered
6,959 Posts

You need any three of tire diameter/roll out, estimated trap speed, desired rpm, and gear. Any of the on-line gear calculators will then allow you to solve for the one you don't have. Most run best if you calculate the desired rpm at about ~2-300rpm past peak hp. It will actually run higher (which is what you want) when you take converter slip into account. Tire growth is another factor, but it is relatively small and varies with tire type.

Here's my car as an example.

Trap speed ~160
Peak hp @ 6,850rpm
Tire circumference 102"
So if I solve for 7,100rpm (250 over peak hp) I would need a 4.29, which is what I got. The car crosses at about 7,200 so it's about perfect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts