Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Got a new center section from a very reputable shop this winter, it came in a box and the yoke was damaged from someone dropping it. I sent it back for a new yoke, installed everything, and broke it in very easily for ~200 miles. I go to change the 80/90 oil and checked it with a magnet and nothing was ferrous, but looking in the pan I saw all of these bronze/brass fillings...I am NOT happy to say the least. It's a yukon aluminum through bolt with a Tru-Trac in it. Mild 460rwhp. What do i need to do now and what is causing these fillings?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
There might be some bronze thrust washers in the trutrac but that would be the only place that material could come from.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Other people are telling me it's fine and not to worry- I don't have experience with them at all so maybe i'm just worrying too much? Even if it's just due to the "break in" doesn't it seem excessive?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I would keep running it. A true track is helical gears and they do have to break in some.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would keep running it. A true track is helical gears and they do have to break in some.
Thanks for the info. For now I'll run it and see how bad they are in 500 miles or so.

Do you have a load bolt for the ring gear, with a brass insert?
I don't know, I'll have to call the builder about that. If so, what happens if that fails?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hmmm, this story sounds familiar to mine...

How is the noise/whine from the rear end?

I have the EXACT SAME REAR. I am on my third replacement and it still WHINES!

·
Registered
267 Posts
And it's a YUKON ALUMINUM CENTER SECTION, TRU-TRAC, 3.70 GEARS.

I did over 400 miles of easy driving, cool downs, driving in reverse through my neighborhood, changed the oil, checked the pinion angle, switched to different brand gear oil, you name it....This is one of the WORST upgrades I have made to my car.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
And it's a YUKON ALUMINUM CENTER SECTION, TRU-TRAC, 3.70 GEARS.

I did over 400 miles of easy driving, cool downs, driving in reverse through my neighborhood, changed the oil, checked the pinion angle, switched to different brand gear oil, you name it....This is one of the WORST upgrades I have made to my car.

That pattern looks off to me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah, that was the very first one I had sent to me.

Got a second one, it was worse.

I'm on my third one now and it howls to the moon at anything above 45 mph.

I'm done fucking around with it and know a fourth one will be just as bad or worse.

Customer service has been decent but the product is shit.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Why not see a local shop that you know has a good reputation.

That's my next step.

Shitty to pay good money for something that doesn't perform as it should. Then, pay more money to fix it.

But, I have zero confidence in the supplier after this. On a positive note, I am a pro at swapping rears in my car as a result.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Not sure if needed, but does it need the limited slip additive put in?

·
Registered
17,417 Posts
True Tracs don't need any special additives, it's all gears, no clutches.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
It does not look like one of our ring & pinions.. what does the numbers on the edge of the gear say?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts