Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
how many different sizes for the center housing and axles are there. i have encountered a problem on the housing i have as far as narrowing it and axle tube diameters.
#1 the axle tubes are 3.25" my ladder bar brackets are for 3" diameter tubes.

#2 the web width of the housing is too wide and will interfear with the ladder bar bracket placement.

i wanted to cut back the web length on either side to accomidate the brackets and install new tubes. but all tubes are 3". and where i need to cut is just past where the housing is sized to the tube. its actually where it starts to flare out. (but not by much)

i was thinking of first plug welding the existing tubes to keep them in place, then trim back the web with a cutoff wheel and grind off old tube weld so i can place the brackets, and then reweld the tube to housing joint.

does this sound do-able??

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i know its done all the time. It'd be an easy fix to put 3" tubes in and the brackets fit. But the housing is sized to 3.25" tubes and replacing them with 3"tubes will give me a sloppy fit.
The existing tubes are inserted into the webbing far enough that i can work some magic with the cutting wheel on my grinder and trim back the webbing just enough to install the brackets and reweld them.
As for the brackets. Im just gonna stack them and bolt them all together and use the end of the belt sander to open them up a tad.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Today the HD housings are generally used, and they have wider stamped areas and are bigger there. You might search out a 9" used in a Mustang or Cougar as they are generally "lighter duty" with smaller tubes and the center stamped part isn't so wide.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
we used to call them, referr to them,..... as the small coco nut housings...

if you are capable of doing the work..then so be it....

for a lot of people, it is best to just buy it....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts