Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Ford 6.7 Powerstroke experts step in please, Got filled with unleaded!

8K views 69 replies 29 participants last post by  Mudtoy 
#1 ·
One of my fleet customers had a driver put about 3/4 tank of unleaded in a pickup and drove around two blocks where he noticed it losing power. They towed it here last night supposedly still running when they turned it off.

I energized the lift pump and drained about 30 gallons, now filling tank with 5 gallons and pumping it again.

I was going to drain the upper system by pulling the fuel return but I know of no way to "flush injectors."

Finally, will it hurt DPF etc. if I put some cetane booster diesel lubricant in with the first round of diesel?

I am currently replacing HPOP and injectors, lines, logs etc on another one for the same problem.

Thanks in advance...

#8 ·
One of our haulers did this once to his late-model Cummins. His full-coverage insurance picked up the tab - which wasn't much; he shut the truck off within about 3 blocks. A complete fuel system flush and new filters took care of it and there was no damage to the pump or the injectors. Done at the local Dodge store who fortunately was honest about it. Hopefully you'll get that lucky.

#9 ·
Happen before on old trucks. We drainas much gas out as could fill with diesel am about 12 quarts marvel mystery oil.

Usually didn't replace anything but filters but new is sensitive on the electric injectors.

Hell if it's going have be replace might as well find out what don't work. Because unless they fire guy it will happen again.
Most likely at BP station

#15 ·
I have had to drain and flush so many trucks at work that it has made me check and double check every time I fill anything.
Had several Ford 6.7's that were just fine after a drain and flush with filters. Always gave customers the option to do the big repair and keep the warranty or try and flush.

#19 ·
Friend had a old VW diesel and I’m pretty sure he said the owners manual said add 1 gallon of gas to 10 gallons of diesel in the winter.

Reactions: GRUBBY
#21 · (Edited)
It needs a complete fuel system, COMPLETE!

Sometimes they need a complete engine, if the high pressure fuel pump locks up the timing gear on the crank will spin, it's pressed on and there is no way to fix it except a new crank. So at that point they get a new engine and Ford has just started shipping complete engines so there's a long line of customers waiting for engines. They were on BO for over 6 months.

Don't use aftermarket parts on this engine or you'll get practice doing the job again and paying for the parts 2x.

Also these injectors have codes on them that have to be programed into the PCM. It's easy to do with a good scanner, my Snap On and Autel can both do it.
Look up IQ codes.

#25 ·
The job got forced on us today on top of a very busy schedule, so we're just getting to round two.

So far, ran a hose from the filter nipple into fuel jugs, commanded pump on, emptied tank, put another 5 gallons of clean diesel in with one bottle of Motorcraft PM-22-A (supposedly approved for this engine) and ran that through low pressure pump and filter housings.

Adding more fuel and changing filters right now.

#28 ·
It's called a contamination kit. Ford sells them complete. We do them regularly at work for the same reason. EVERYTHING in the fuel system gets replaced. 25 hours of labor plus parts. Or you can take a chance that something lived through it. Out of 8 trucks this last year, not one ran more than a week with just a fuel system flush...so you can pony up and do it right or pay the price later, your choice

#31 ·
Years ago I owned an 84 F350 with the old 6.9L diesel. That thing would run on all kinds of crap you put in it! Of course it was all mechanical injection. I'd put old used motor oil, trans fluid, even brake fluid in the tank. LOL, it did'nt even phase it one bit. I never put gasoline in it though, I'm sure that would damage it.
I used to pour in the 1 gallon jugs of Marvel Mystery Oil and mix it with the diesel fuel.

#35 ·
20ish years ago a lady pulled up to the pumps at my dad's store in a new Powerstroke. When I saw what she was doing, I ran out and told her the she needed diesel and we only had gas. She argued with me and said it used gas even though it said "diesel only" in several places. I didn't argue with her and she topped it off with gas.
Not sure how far she made it but this truck still had the stickers on the window.

#41 · (Edited)
The #2 fuel this day and age is crap. Low sulfur crap. Bio crap. I do this shit for a living
servicing break downs with jells up. No body really knows what is in the ground regardless what the sign says. Normally i use 1-2 gallons of K1 per 75-100 capacity with Biocide and stir that shit up. Change out all the filters and send it..

This one was a tad too thick..Finally got it fired after 1.5 hours of the torpedo on the tank.. I have had a ton of rentals that have put gas in the diesel tanks. (No names). Majority of it was a flush and fill. Normally they don't get that far and shut off. But there were 2 that needed motors. I have had them, i don't know. manage to get the diesel fuel into the def tank. I put the mobile flush and fill jobs on the back burner. Almost impossible to get rid of the crap.

#55 ·
To anyone interested.......Fords official policy is as follows. There is also a policy to drain the tank, lines, rails etc and replace filters. Add ALOT of dieselkleen or equivalent like the ford product and prime the system. Once again....look for tiny shiny bits in the water seperator drain and bottom filter.
An owner of a ford dealer here filled a brand new demo with gas. He blamed his wife. I doubt she could get in it as it was some custom truck with a lift....etc. He had driven it back to work with idiot lights on and reduced power.
Performed the standard flush without replacement of all the hard parts. Truck now has well over 100k miles on it and luckily no fuel system concerns.
He still sold it as NEW but disclosed to the buyer that they would have a full engine and fuel system warranty for 200k miles. Buyer was a friend of dealership owner.

#56 ·
Procedure A – Fuel Contaminated, Engine Started 1. Drain fuel tank completely by removing the tank and cleaning to prevent the possibility of reintroducing contamination. (Dispose of contaminated fuel in accordance with local laws and regulations.) 2. Fill fuel tank with fresh, clean, good quality diesel fuel. NOTE: Leave original fuel filters, HP injection pump, fuel lines, fuel rails and injectors in place until flushing procedure is completed to prevent contamination of replacement components. 3. Using an appropriate container, drain DFCM of any residual liquids. 4. Perform Fuel System Flush. Refer to Procedure C, below. NOTE: The DFCM must be inspected during filter replacement to verify no low pressure fuel system damage. If DEF contamination is present, the DFCM must be replaced. 5. Replace both fuel filters (primary and secondary). 6. Replace ALL High Pressure fuel system components; • High Pressure Fuel Pump • Engine mounted high pressure fuel lines • Both high pressure fuel rails • Eight fuel injectors • Low pressure fuel injector return hose assembly • Fuel delivery pressure switch (located on the engine low pressure line near the secondary fuel filter) NOTE: All remaining low pressure fuel lines can be reused if no physical damage is present. Procedure B – Fuel Contaminated, Engine NOT Started 1. Drain fuel tank completely by removing the tank and cleaning to prevent the possibility of reintroducing contamination. (Dispose of contaminated fuel in accordance with local laws and regulations.) 2. Fill fuel tank with fresh, clean, good quality diesel fuel. 3. Using an appropriate container, drain DFCM of any residual liquids. NOTE: The DFCM must be inspected during filter replacement to verify no low pressure fuel system damage. 4. Replace both fuel filters (primary and secondary). 5. Perform Fuel System Flush. Refer to Procedure C, below.) Procedure C – Fuel System Flush 1. Remove the rear Fuel Cooler Line that returns to the fuel tank at the fuel cooler. 2. Install a 3-foot length of 3/8-inch diameter fuel hose over the fuel cooler nipple. 3. Place the open end of the hose into a suitable container. 4. Use Scan Tool Active Commands or cycle the ignition key to RUN to activate the low pressure fuel pump to flush the lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.