Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
putting together a 390 ford engine.with the timing chain dot to dot does the distributor go in on no.1 or 180 degrees out?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
should go to number 1..

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
whats she got done to her im running a 390 fe as well

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
nice!! hey new tune pm me a price and the specs i might know someone

·
Registered
958 Posts
FE's are sweet engines. That was the first engine I tinkered with and there wasn't many aftermarket pieces available in the early '90s. Forged piston, roller rockers and an Offy port-o-sonic was it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
ya the selection has its downfalls and ups but not many people build them so iam and i aint done with it yet and now i know why people use 302 and 351 and everything else but a 390 F.E. Fucking Expensive!!! lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
built a 428 FE back in the early 80's (81-82) and if you think there was not much available in the 90's even less in the 80's. had to use mostly factory CJ parts for any performance. had to have the pistons custom made to get the compression ratio i wanted (10.5:1) only ones availabe were 13.5:1 and about 8.5:1 if i rember correctly. back when you could get 98 octane out of the pump you could get a little bump happy for a street motor. BTW, FE stood fro F***ing Extinct back then ....... had a 427 dual quad with 600's on it from a 427CJ motor. had to make a custom oil pan for extra capacity (would suck all the oil up too fast) as there was no aftermarket pan that did not hang down and plow the blacktop(ripped one open on a sewer manhole cover that stuck up). Also had a Tri-power with all the carbs and factory oval air cleaner. still have it all in the garage. sits in a 69 Mach 1 that i bought when i was in High school

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
shit!! ya eff building these back then lol blowers are ridiculoious for it and nitrous is jus crazy so i figured turbos alot easier and it sounds orgasmic!

·
Registered
187 Posts
see you are from AZ building this, i built mine when i levied in Az. must be something inthe air to work on and build these dinosaurs HAHA

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
ahaha...maybe so

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
see you are from AZ building this, i built mine when i levied in Az. must be something inthe air to work on and build these dinosaurs HAHA
It's because nothing rusts out there and these things are still around. You guys are lucky. Hell, my brake rotors rust over night.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Anyone need a forged crank for one?
What's the stroke? Shoot me a pm with the info/price. Got a 390 FE in the machine shop right now, putting a 428 crank (3.98) in her, new pistons (.030 overbore) doing all the oil mods to the block and heads, and a new cam (Comp 306S). It's going in a 1966 Fairlane 500XL, C6 reverse valve body tranny 3500 stall converter, 9inch rear. I have a Comp cam/lifters for sale. Hydrualic flat tappet 33-250-4. Only used for break in, decided to go a different route with the motor. I also have a stock aluminum 4bbl intakef/s if anyone is interested.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts