Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you guys are SBF guys.... I'm looking for a SHELF piece from a manufacture that has the lower part of the shaft supported by a bearing of some sort, not JUST the top.

I had a MSD Pro Billet last year that was getting spark scatter like crazy after 4 races... pulled it apart and apparently MSD thinks that the lower portion of the shaft doesn't need to be supported by anything more than aluminum?:smt102 That motor before I got it was having distributor gear issues so I made sure the oiling was good on the gear and made sure the oil pump and drive didn't load the distributor... come to find out the distributor was next to take a shit. So we fixed the distributor with a bearing.....

Basically I want to NOT go thru all the work to make the part what it should be.... so who out there sells one that is made correctly to support the shaft? Or do I just have to do this myself?

Bret

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
On Fords, the lower distributor bearing (bushing) is the hole in the block below the gear thrust surface. No stock Ford distributor has a bushing in it unless it has been to a rebuilder and they put one in. If you had trouble with distributor gears in a Ford it is most likely because the gear was installed at the wrong distance from the housing flange that seats the distributor in the block.

Here is the Ford Racing Distributor Gear Instruction Sheet
http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-12390-A.pdf

The MSD instructions and the instructions from Ford Motorsports specify different dimensions for the gear installation distance from the distributor flange.

I think Ford knows best what to do.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah... well it was a Ford SVO block so it wouldn't suprise me. Either way it side loaded the shaft enough to wear the aluminum. The depth was correct and I had to change it to another Ford gear anyways for the camshaft.

The bearing solved the issue.... I just get paranoid and want a permanat fix to this.

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
I wonder if you have a 302 distributor and the SVO block is supposed to use one for a 351??

What size is the hole in the block where the distributor shaft fits below the gear? 302 shaft is .450” and 351 is .515” (approximate). I don’t know offhand what size the holes in the blocks are but if you have a 302 distributor in a 351 shaft size hole it would act the way you describe because the small shaft would run off-center in the large hole. I don’t know this either, but it seems logical that Ford would use the larger shaft and oil pump drive in the SVO blocks. Somebody out there in Radio Land know if this is so? :smt102

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boss block

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
So? Measure the diameters of the hole in the block and the distributor shaft below the gear. :smt102 :smt083 :confused:

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't have the motor with the problems here to play with kinda hard.... I was looking for another motor to make sure I don't run into this... but thanks for the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts