Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to try and answer this in as much detail as possible since we have already addressed it in two separate threads but am still getting questions pertaining to it.

Why we don’t sell pump seals…. Several have posted it is because we are greedy while others state we do it just to make money. Neither is the case and if you look closely at what all is involved with bringing a pump in and all the departments/people involved from start to finish with a repair there is definitely no profit there and it takes away from the amount of time we have to build new product as the same guys that build the new ones also do the repairs.

The pumps carry a lifetime labor warranty and we charge for parts only and supply the labor for free. We do this to ensure that you have a safe and properly working product that meets the original specifications so that you do not go out there and hurt an engine because you do not have the proper flow for the application. All of the pumps are repaired, tested and adjusted on the original flow bench that they were when built new. One of the members in the other thread mentioned he was told that the motor has to be moved around to achieve this and another blamed it on poor machining and parts. This is not the case in that we use American made motors only from a reputable source and the standard with any electric motor there is a spec of plus or minus of 7% . We adjust and/or shim the motors so that the pumps will have the proper amount of flow and due to our standards will not allow anything that does not meet that spec to go out the door.

Let’s talk about the link for the seals and the fact that they are available through other vendors as several have mentioned. We have no issue if you guys want to buy them and install them yourselves but we take no responsibility if the pump is not up to par at that point. We are not telling you not to use them but rather trying to advise you on what might happen if you do. Our guys here work on pumps everyday so they know what to keep an eye out for and can spot issues that someone else may not having been in the pump for the first time. We also have the flow bench and all the equipment to verify both what the pump is flowing before and after the repair to insure it flows properly as well as the amperage draw not being too high.

In conclusion I would like to discuss some of the warranty issues that have been mentioned in other threads with nearly new or pumps with little use that had high repair bills. I have been put in this position after Barry felt the person previously in this position as well as his department was not giving you guys the level of customer service that you deserve. He also felt that warranty claims were not being handled in a proper fashion and on a timely basis and that is not your guys fault but ours. The person who was responsible for this mistreatment is still posting on your board but doing so now under Carb Guy . I would like everyone to know he has no affiliation with Barry Grant Inc. in any form or fashion. I notice he is using the same avitar that Barry Grant Inc has used for quite some times on other forums we are a member of but do not let that confuse you or associate him with us.If you have a pump that was recently purchased, recently repaired or have very little run time and have failed I have the authority to try and make things right regarding it and repair it at no charge. Send me a PM or send it in to my attention with a copy of this and we will make every effort to change your mind about any past dealings you may have had with our products and our customer service. I will be sending a couple of you pm’s regarding issues mentioned in today’s thread where Barry spoke while some of you from the thread the other day have already been contacted.

I hope this clears up some of the questions you may have as well as some of the misinformation that has been posted. We are sorry if you guys have not been told this in the past but as stated that is one of the reasons why I have replaced the person who was previously over customer support. Adam

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
SHAKEY
Pre-Staged

:rolleyes: WELL I HAVE A LITTLE MORE RESPECT FOR YOU BARRY, AFTER THAT INFORMATIVE POST....:smt082 BUT I HAVE HAD THE PLEASURE OF OWNING A FEW OF YOUR "LEAKMASTER" PUMPS!! REMEMBER THAT QUOTE??? FROM THAT PAGE OF MOTHERFUCKING I GAVE YOU IN THAT E-MAIL??:confused: I BOUGHT A NEW BG-400, 3 MONTHS LATER IT LEAKS!! SO I SEND IT IN, 3 WEEKS AND $225.00 LATER I GET IT BACK!!:rolleyes: GUESS WHAT??? LEAKS JUST AS BAD!! SO I E-MAIL HIM ABOUT A PAGE OF DISGUST!!! AND HE CALLS ME TO SEE WHATS WRONG???:confused: WHATS WRONG???? IM OUT $600+DOLLARS, PLENTY TIME, AND:confused: STILL POURING FUEL ON THE GROUND!!!! BUT TELLS ME TO SEND IT BACK!!! BULLSHIT!!! I SAY ONLY IF YOU REPLACE IT FOR A NEW PUMP!! HE SAYS CANT DO!! SO NO MO BARRY GRANT FOR ME.................:cool:

I cut and pasted this from the other thread here so I could address it with you.You have a pm regarding this.

·
Turbo Terror
14,346 Posts
I know as a racer, if I had a 1.00 seal send me home from a race I would be PISSED. Once I had the part fixed I would want a spare JUST INCASE it happened again for whatever reason. Keep in mind it failed so it could fail again.

It costs so much to race that getting sent home over a 1.00 part makes me grit my teeth just thinking about it. So for any company not to sell parts to help a racer go rounds is beyond me. I know that sometime one part failing can be a tattle tail that something else is wrong, but sometimes it is just that seal that let go, after all we are dealing with fuel here.

Just something to think about for the companies that have a "we do not sell parts to customers" policy.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As mentioned I do have the authority to try and correct some of these issues mentioned and if the pump looks to be new we will address each one individually regardless of the time frame. I warrantied a 13 year old carburetor the other day that the guy had bought in the early 90's and was just now getting his car finished up. It was one of the original Holleys that we used to modify but it looked brand new and I could tell it had next to no run time. It turned out to be a simple power valve gasket but we still flowed it,repaired it and sent it back at no charge to the customer all without being asked to. I can only apologize for the lack of support in the past but we are here to help you guys whenever possible.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
As mentioned I do have the authority to try and correct some of these issues mentioned and if the pump looks to be new we will address each one individually regardless of the time frame. I warrantied a 13 year old carburetor the other day that the guy had bought in the early 90's and was just now getting his car finished up. It was one of the original Holleys that we used to modify but it looked brand new and I could tell it had next to no run time. It turned out to be a simple power valve gasket but we still flowed it,repaired it and sent it back at no charge to the customer all without being asked to. I can only apologize for the lack of support in the past but we are here to help you guys whenever possible.

Ahhh.. Damage control. The power of the bullet is being noticed.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
All this talk about pumps. What about regulators? I forgot to mention oin the other thread, my new one bounces from 7-9 psi. My old one NEVER did that. Will you sell just the seals for a regulator or not? If so I'll call tomorrow and order them.
I haven't had any leakage problems, but I did have a reg dry up on me once and rather than go through the hassle of returning it for rebuilding I bought a new one. I have to agree with the majority that it would be a really good idea to make seal kits and diaphrams available to customers for these minor issues rather than have to plan on down time or worse have an incident at the track and not be able to fix it....just my .02

Rick

·
PowdercoatBill
9,379 Posts
I haven't had any leakage problems, but I did have a reg dry up on me once and rather than go through the hassle of returning it for rebuilding I bought a new one. I have to agree with the majority that it would be a really good idea to make seal kits and diaphrams available to customers for these minor issues rather than have to plan on down time or worse have an incident at the track and not be able to fix it....just my .02

Rick
AMEN!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I am going to try and answer this in as much detail as possible since we have already addressed it in two separate threads but am still getting questions pertaining to it.

Why we don’t sell pump seals…. Several have posted it is because we are greedy while others state we do it just to make money. Neither is the case and if you look closely at what all is involved with bringing a pump in and all the departments/people involved from start to finish with a repair there is definitely no profit there and it takes away from the amount of time we have to build new product as the same guys that build the new ones also do the repairs.

The pumps carry a lifetime labor warranty and we charge for parts only and supply the labor for free. We do this to ensure that you have a safe and properly working product that meets the original specifications so that you do not go out there and hurt an engine because you do not have the proper flow for the application. All of the pumps are repaired, tested and adjusted on the original flow bench that they were when built new. One of the members in the other thread mentioned he was told that the motor has to be moved around to achieve this and another blamed it on poor machining and parts. This is not the case in that we use American made motors only from a reputable source and the standard with any electric motor there is a spec of plus or minus of 7% . We adjust and/or shim the motors so that the pumps will have the proper amount of flow and due to our standards will not allow anything that does not meet that spec to go out the door.

Let’s talk about the link for the seals and the fact that they are available through other vendors as several have mentioned. We have no issue if you guys want to buy them and install them yourselves but we take no responsibility if the pump is not up to par at that point. We are not telling you not to use them but rather trying to advise you on what might happen if you do. Our guys here work on pumps everyday so they know what to keep an eye out for and can spot issues that someone else may not having been in the pump for the first time. We also have the flow bench and all the equipment to verify both what the pump is flowing before and after the repair to insure it flows properly as well as the amperage draw not being too high.

In conclusion I would like to discuss some of the warranty issues that have been mentioned in other threads with nearly new or pumps with little use that had high repair bills. I have been put in this position after Barry felt the person previously in this position as well as his department was not giving you guys the level of customer service that you deserve. He also felt that warranty claims were not being handled in a proper fashion and on a timely basis and that is not your guys fault but ours. The person who was responsible for this mistreatment is still posting on your board but doing so now under Carb Guy . I would like everyone to know he has no affiliation with Barry Grant Inc. in any form or fashion. I notice he is using the same avitar that Barry Grant Inc has used for quite some times on other forums we are a member of but do not let that confuse you or associate him with us.If you have a pump that was recently purchased, recently repaired or have very little run time and have failed I have the authority to try and make things right regarding it and repair it at no charge. Send me a PM or send it in to my attention with a copy of this and we will make every effort to change your mind about any past dealings you may have had with our products and our customer service. I will be sending a couple of you pm’s regarding issues mentioned in today’s thread where Barry spoke while some of you from the thread the other day have already been contacted.

I hope this clears up some of the questions you may have as well as some of the misinformation that has been posted. We are sorry if you guys have not been told this in the past but as stated that is one of the reasons why I have replaced the person who was previously over customer support. Adam
It's funny you brought up the Carb Guy, I was getting the impression he was sticking up for Barry, nothing like pissing him off now.........I would think he would have a some good storys to tell!

He does make a good scape goat though!;)

·
Chicken Leg?
17,838 Posts
these are your customers speaking. will you do what so many other companies do, ignore their needs, and continue trying to convince them that the way things are currently done is for the best? or will you take these demands seriously and accomodate them without delay? with so many requesting such a simple thing as offering seals & field rebuild kits, it's painfully obvious that your current policy is very flawed and is NOT WORKING. no, the customer is not always right, but they may actually have something important to say from time to time. your move, bg....
greg

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have been put in this position after Barry felt the person previously in this position as well as his department was not giving you guys the level of customer service that you deserve. He also felt that warranty claims were not being handled in a proper fashion and on a timely basis and that is not your guys fault but ours. The person who was responsible for this mistreatment is still posting on your board but doing so now under Carb Guy . I would like everyone to know he has no affiliation with Barry Grant Inc. in any form or fashion. I notice he is using the same avitar that Barry Grant Inc has used for quite some times on other forums we are a member of but do not let that confuse you or associate him with us..

Adam,

There is no reason to throw stones. If you’ll look you can plainly see on this board or any other I have not said anything diragotory about Barry, the company, or your products. I spent 14 years there working with customers the best way I could within certain situations. You will even notice on threads here I suggested a customer getting in contact with you about getting a product repaired while others were saying to throw it out, and buy something else. Saying that myself, and or any of the people in that department did not want to help customers is simply untrue.

To set the record straight to anyone who wants to know. I am Doug Schriefer I worked for Barry Grant, Inc. for 14 years, and I am thankfully no longer affiliated with them in any way. I now work for Braswell® Carburetion, where we specialize in high end racing carburetors. If there is anything I can help please let me know.

Doug Schriefer
Braswell
America's Finest Competition Carburetion

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how does a $25.00 seals go to $225.00 if labor is free?thats about the cost of a new pump minus labor.lol
A new Bg400 pump will cost you over 400.00 , The price for a bottom end rebuild is 125.00 and the motor is 54.00 so if the pump needs a complete overhaul and a motor it runs 179.00 plus the shipping. Generally not needed but even if the pump needs a replacement body and the bypass valve replaced it still costs way under the price of a new one. As mentioned in reference to the reseal that does run 25.00 and if the pump doesn't need anything there is no charge to flow test it. I dont have the average year to date here in front of me but will post it tomorrow but it is less than 100.00 .That means some were more,some were less and some didn't need anything at all. With 20 plus years of pumps in the field that is definitely not a bad average.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He does make a good scape goat though!;)
By his own admittance in the post following yours he was responsible for customer service up until I replaced him the end of last year.You have seen all the customers who posted with past issues and I can tell you they haven't all been since I was put in that position.Has everyone been happy with our customer service over the last few months? I'll answer honestly and say no but I can tell you this that we have a lot less customers with current issues then we did before.My current guys return calls and emails everyday on a timely basis and you dont see people complaining that they get no response from us like in the past. We will never be able to satisfy everyone but will make every effort to try and do so.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
these are your customers speaking. will you do what so many other companies do, ignore their needs, and continue trying to convince them that the way things are currently done is for the best? or will you take these demands seriously and accomodate them without delay? with so many requesting such a simple thing as offering seals & field rebuild kits, it's painfully obvious that your current policy is very flawed and is NOT WORKING. no, the customer is not always right, but they may actually have something important to say from time to time. your move, bg....
greg
We do listen to our customers but we also have our reasons for not offering the parts which is clearly explained above. Our policy is and has been the same for 20+ years and will continue to do so. Guys want to get on the internet and whine even though they know they can buy the seals elsewhere and put them in themselves as we have already said we have no issue with. So you don't agree with the fact we dont sell parts for the pumps and regulators but we have come on here to explain why. Here is a couple of paragraphs from Barry's own response posted in another thread on this board
"I started the super high-volume fuel pump industry with the 300 to fix a need. Planned obsolescence?? For $25 to replace a seal?? Are you guys nuts? Why do they come in for service? A guy on the other thread said he bought a used Magnafuel pump, and burned a piston. And I don't trash Magnafuel products, they are a competitor and build a good product. But theirs wear just like ours do. You are not putting 6 or 8 of theirs on a year, nor of mine. How many motors of you guys have I saved by catching a fuel pump before it went bad? Motors burn up for many reasons and components can go bad at any time, so isn't it better to do a little preventative maintenance? Gasoline is a very harsh liquid to pump and to seal. Get gas on your hands, doesn't your hands turn white as it dries out your hands? Do you think maybe it does that to a seal as well?

You put a seal in your pump, you don't have a flow bench, you don't check the pressure, volume or amperage draw, so how do you know that even though your pump is leaking that is not ready to let you down and burn your engine up? So for this kind of conscienciousness, I get motherfucked. With 80,000 units in the field, we see 1.5% of the total units in the field every year for service. Do you expect any product that you buy for your racecar for $400 to last indefinitely? I'm sorry - I'm not that smart. But neither is anybody else. We have a year of research and development in trying to find a seal that is even better than what has been so successful for over 20 years - and retrofit into the old fuel pump bodies. Once again, motherfucked for trying to treat my customers the way I want to be treated as a customer. I could have found a kickass seal and obsoleted all the old bodies, making all you guys have to buy a new pump from me or someone else. I guess no good deed goes unpunished"
We have a certain standard to uphold and will not let a few guys wanting to bash us on the internet for that lower them. As posted if you want to replace your own seals with the ones found on the internet go right ahead and do that but as posted we will not be responsible for the outcome.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Adam,

There is no reason to throw stones. If you’ll look you can plainly see on this board or any other I have not said anything diragotory about Barry, the company, or your products. I spent 14 years there working with customers the best way I could within certain situations. You will even notice on threads here I suggested a customer getting in contact with you about getting a product repaired while others were saying to throw it out, and buy something else. Saying that myself, and or any of the people in that department did not want to help customers is simply untrue.

To set the record straight to anyone who wants to know. I am Doug Schriefer I worked for Barry Grant, Inc. for 14 years, and I am thankfully no longer affiliated with them in any way. I now work for Braswell® Carburetion, where we specialize in high end racing carburetors. If there is anything I can help please let me know.

Doug Schriefer
Braswell
America's Finest Competition Carburetion
Doug, I find it comical that you spend more time answering members on the different boards then you did when that was part of your job responsibilty. You spent a lot of time telling Barry and others that the department was monitoring over 400 boards yet when I went in to change the passwords on them I could only locate 20 or so that we were actually registered on.There have been many who still complain that they never could get you on the phone when that was part of your job responsibilty but now you are gone you are calling them.Funny how that works. Lets discuss pissed off customers..... so where did you think ALL of these came from? these are the same guys to quote your post where you say "I spent 14 years there working with customers the best way I could within certain situatons" . I guess when you tell Barry that fuel pump repairs are only behind 2 weeks when they were really 2 months that was the best service to offer? I guess that was why there were pump repairs that were 6 months to a year old where the department you were in charge of only made 1 attempt to contact the customer and then put the paperwork aside. Me and my guys called and called until we go all of them on the phone and returned their parts to them repaired and at no charge with an apology for our poor service. I had the balls to go and tell Barry there were problems where others had lied to him in the past. I could go on and on but I don't see the need to drag all of our dirty laundry out between us because what this thread is really about is the customer and end user of Barry Grant products and our explanation as to why our policy is the way that it is. Btw.... using the same avitar that Barry Grant currently has associated with the Tech @ BG user name on several diferent forums is pretty cheesy!If you are to quote one last time "thankfully no longer affiliated with them in any way" then find a different avitar. No need to confuse anyone.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Doug, I find it comical that you spend more time answering members on the different boards then you did when that was part of your job responsibilty. You spent a lot of time telling Barry and others that the department was monitoring over 400 boards yet when I went in to change the passwords on them I could only locate 20 or so that we were actually registered on.There have been many who still complain that they never could get you on the phone when that was part of your job responsibilty but now you are gone you are calling them.Funny how that works. Lets discuss pissed off customers..... so where did you think ALL of these came from? these are the same guys to quote your post where you say "I spent 14 years there working with customers the best way I could within certain situatons" . I guess when you tell Barry that fuel pump repairs are only behind 2 weeks when they were really 2 months that was the best service to offer? I guess that was why there were pump repairs that were 6 months to a year old where the department you were in charge of only made 1 attempt to contact the customer and then put the paperwork aside. Me and my guys called and called until we go all of them on the phone and returned their parts to them repaired and at no charge with an apology for our poor service. I had the balls to go and tell Barry there were problems where others had lied to him in the past. I could go on and on but I don't see the need to drag all of our dirty laundry out between us because what this thread is really about is the customer and end user of Barry Grant products and our explanation as to why our policy is the way that it is. Btw.... using the same avitar that Barry Grant currently has associated with the Tech @ BG user name on several diferent forums is pretty cheesy!If you are to quote one last time "thankfully no longer affiliated with them in any way" then find a different avitar. No need to confuse anyone.

Adam,

I won't get it into that with you, but when repairs couldn't be done, because the company HAD to build new product.... It's all good dude, you're fixing the world, god bless ya.

Actually there were about 300 message boards when I was there, and Barry knew which ones we were active on. Again it's all good, I wish you guys the best of luck.

I'm sure you're right everything wrong at BG must have been my fault 100%, so I'm sure your business is growing more than it ever has.

As far as the Avitar goes it is actually one that I used for some of my own stuff on other boards long before it was ever put on anything for BG. If you'll look at it closely you'll notice it actually has a Holley carburetor on the engine, and I actually asked the person who's companies website it was off of if I could use it. Maybe you should change the handful of websites its left on that you use.

And as I've said both before, and since I've been gone: I spent a lot of time there, and wish many people there success. You are right this is about your customers. Kudos to you and Barry for stepping up and telling the customers if it takes more than 7 days to fix their pumps you'll take care of it free of charge. Keep up the good work, maybe we'll see ya at the races some time.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Im not a Barry Grant "user" But what I see here is a effort to make things right. If people choose to accept it, that is of their own doing. But It doesnt look like they can say that Barry Grant isnt trying when they are openly discussing on a public forum past issues and addressing them for everyone to see and also "document" to refer back too. This isnt the first I have seen of this, however it would seem that the companies have caught on that these forums have turned into a place where the future and reputation are at stake. Which IMO is better for us, the consumer. I applaud Barry Grant for having the balls to fix the reputation that has preceded them. It will be interesting to see what will happen.

1 - 20 of 281 Posts