Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say you have a COMPLETELY raw set of Zeus cast W8s waiting for the CFE treatment and lets say you want to have a killer built that fits no class, but just for chasing numbers.

With a 4.250 bore, where would you set the deck and what stroke would you run to keep cross rpm in the mid 9000 range.

For those the may not know, the W8 is an old, straight MOPAR head, but CFE has programs for it.

The car is a Mark Markow built, SS style 4-link/15-33, with a 3spd auto.

·
Registered
725 Posts
How big of a program does Carl have for the w8's? Most of the truck stuff I have seen of his is very small for an all out drag race application.

I assume you are sure they are zeus cast? That is pretty rare in the w8's. Much more common in the 9's and the P7's.

·
Registered
26,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How big of a program does Carl have for the w8's? Most of the truck stuff I have seen of his is very small for an all out drag race application.

I assume you are sure they are zeus cast? That is pretty rare in the w8's. Much more common in the 9's and the P7's.
He has a dragrace program, probably from the Prostock trucks and we grabbed them from a well known MOPAR guy that we specified what we wanted. A raw, plugless Zeus.

I currently have a 296cc 15* Coleman/Arrington from the Craftman Truck world that went just over 400cfm @.800 on MBEs bench on our 417ci. The next build will be with the good heads.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
With a 4.250 bore, where would you set the deck and what stroke would you run to keep cross rpm in the mid 9000 range.
I've had several of Carl's W8 through here, nice work.

This is a question for Carl or Scott, .. tell them what cubic inch and
rpm you are trying to work with, they should match the csa, ..

Curtis

·
Registered
26,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had several of Carl's W8 through here, nice work.

This is a question for Carl or Scott, .. tell them what cubic inch and
rpm you are trying to work with, they should match the csa, ..

Curtis
They do nice work with the 8s....I'm just curious on what you guys think a reasonable stroke and deck ht. would be.

I have plenty of options....9in/9.200/9.600 deck blocks to start with and any stroke.

Chris U. has done a nice one for a member in the 420ci range.

·
All motor wannabe
5,904 Posts
Id go with a 3.6 to 3.65 stroke, you could run that fairly well into the 9000 range with a light rod. right around 415 cubes with a 9. 6 deck

·
Registered
26,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Id go with a 3.6 to 3.65 stroke, you could run that fairly well into the 9000 range with a light rod. right around 415 cubes with a 9. 6 deck
Tall deck and short stroke. That would make for a long rod combo.

Quite a bit different than my current 9in deck 4.185 x 3.79 engine.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I wouldnt think it would need a 1.83 rod ratio would it? 9.6 deck 3.65 stroke leaves tou 7.775 for piston and rod. Typical 1.10 n/a piston means a 6.675 long rod.

Hows your current engine rev?

You could do that stroke in the 9.2 deck with a noteably lighter 6.250 rod and it probably would run any different.

·
Registered
26,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldnt think it would need a 1.83 rod ratio would it? 9.6 deck 3.65 stroke leaves tou 7.775 for piston and rod. Typical 1.10 n/a piston means a 6.675 long rod.

Hows your current engine rev?

You could do that stroke in the 9.2 deck with a noteably lighter 6.250 rod and it probably would run any different.
Our current engine @417ci peaked at 8300. This engine was originally built with nitrous in the mix, but we have since decided to run the car N/A.

If I were going to run a stroke in the 3.6 range, I'd stick with the 9in deck.

I'm leaning towards 3.875 in a 9.2 deck.......but nothing is in stone.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Yeah take the deck out of the thing.... a half inch in pushrod length is worth it.

I know of a W8 program you might be insterested in as well.... most of those are pretty small and too small for what you are doing.

Bret

1 - 16 of 16 Posts