Registered
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried to find a weight for this beast but, no luck

so it looks like it's a fairmont w/ new skin

this from wikipedia

Fox-platform (1983–1986)

Fifth generation Production 1983–1986 Assembly Chicago, Illinois
Atlanta, Georgia Predecessor Ford Granada (1981–1982) Successor Ford Taurus Body style 4-door sedan
5-door station wagon Platform Ford Fox platform Engine 2.3 L Lima I4
3.3 L Thriftpower Six I6
3.8 L Essex V6
4.9L 5.0L Windsor V8 Transmission 3-speed C5 automatic
4-speed AOD automatic Related Mercury Marquis
Lincoln Continental Ford's final family sedan based on the Fox platform, the LTD, and its Mercury twin, the Marquis, were basically a restyle of the unsuccessful 1981-1982 Ford Granada and Mercury Monarch, and the popular 1978-1983 Ford Fairmont and Mercury Zephyr. As such, the running gear was identical to the Fairmont. The LTD and Marquis monikers were also used on the full size sedan and wagon, named LTD Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis.
Both LTD and Marquis inherited the Fairmont's 2.3 L four-cylinder, 3.3 L inline-six, and 5.0 L V8 engines; however, the V8 gained fuel-injection. Inherited from the Granada was Ford's 3.8 L Essex V6, which gave smooth and reliable power, although with sometimes troublesome head gaskets. The Essex engine gained fuel injection for 1984 in the US; it was carbureted in Canadian markets until 1986. An option from 1983 to 1984 was an LPG (propane)-powered four-cylinder engine, but was discontinued due to poor sales and few propane fueling stations. The LTD's final year was 1986, when Ford sold it alongside its replacement, the Taurus. This car was the third-best-selling car in the United States in 1983 and 1984.[citation needed]

Interior photo (1984 model shown)

[edit] LTD LX

During the 1984 model year, Ford introduced a performance version of the LTD called the LTD LX. It came standard with the high output 5.0 L CFI V8 engine, four-speed automatic transmission with overdrive, 600 lb-in front and 270 lb-in rear coil springs, front and rear sway bars, 10 inch front disc and 10 inch rear drum brakes, and a 3.27:1 rear gear ratio with a Traction-Lok differential. The LX model was the only LTD to have a tachometer in the instrument cluster. the center console with a floor-mounted shifter for the transmission re-appeared having last been available in the full-size 1972 model year. Roughly 3,260 LXs were produced from mid-1984 to 1985. The Mercury version of the LX was the Marquis LTS and was available only in Canada in much smaller numbers. A LTD (fox body) police edition was as also made, roughly 800 were produced. Notable for its bigger sway bars and brakes, it also included bench seats with an automatic trunk opener located underneath the steering wheel. They were a factory option and most were equipped with light bars and police accessories, although some came without.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Local shop with a mustang dyno had a spreadsheet with every vehicle weight listed. Said the 83-86 ltd wagons weighed 3450 with 3.8l auto trans. That one is definately clean. Been looking for one in better shape. I will have my guy post up a pic of my wagon. Thanks shot

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
if i lived closer id buy that thing today, and put all my shit from my fox on it and maybe a wet kit.

·
THE PHENOMENAL ONE
12,638 Posts
it weighs 3900 lbs. doesn't sound too heavy for the size car. could it get under 3000 lbs?
It's the same as a Fairmont, I've had 2, both around 2750 lbs with me in it and they still had all the glass, only fiberglass were the hoods. Lee at S&W has a wagon as well. Anything you can do to a mustang you can do to that. BTW, unless it's been weighed at 3900 don't take that to be true, I'm thinking it's much less. I have 4 doors and a rear gate that will fit that car if you or anyone needs them.

·
TEAM CARB
45,248 Posts
70Torinos car is awesome...gotta see it in person
He went all out to make stuff look rusted or old...LOTS of time and work in that...unreal

1 - 18 of 18 Posts