Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well unfortunately our home track was closed up last year. I've been running index stuff on a pro tree as well as pro brackets that allow t-brakes. It would give me more options if I set the car up with out the t-brake and two step. What kinds of things work good foot braking? Loose converter, ic, shock settings etc. as it sits now I've left a 2k and it's real lazy up to 4500. Doesn't seem to have consistency from 330- 660.

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Well let me just start by saying that I'm no footbrake expert, but one thing I think I was doing wrong last year was getting on the converter too hard, and caused me to red light more than I would like to. I think anyway. I'm going to try flashing it this year and see what happens. Footbraking is an art, takes much experience to master!!

·
Banned
26,908 Posts
I would bring the engine up to about 1500 RPM on the foot brake, then flash it on the last yellow. Worked real good.
Just make sure you accelerator pump is adjusted good so you dont get that stumble/hesitation from instant WOT.

·
Registered
672 Posts
also remember that when on the trans brake the suspension is at rest. when your footbraking and up on the convertor your loading the suspension and taking some of the usable travel out of it. you have to do some testing to see what the car likes.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I use a two step on my brake pedal with it set as high as will stand without pushing the car on the brakes,
when I release the brake I release the two step just by lifting my foot, This way it prevents over doing it and red lighting, plus it makes for a consistent launch.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I use a two step on my brake pedal with it set as high as will stand without pushing the car on the brakes,
when I release the brake I release the two step just by lifting my foot, This way it prevents over doing it and red lighting, plus it makes for a consistent launch.
Do you use a toggle switch or something else to power it so its not accidently engaged?

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Do you use a toggle switch or something else to power it so its not accidently engaged?
Its a heavy duty press switch just above the pad on the pedal, You really have to mean to step on it, I just do a brake stand for my burnout and dont step on it, only when I launch the car.

The clutch pedal is just laying there, the car is an auto!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well unfortunately our home track was closed up last year. I've been running index stuff on a pro tree as well as pro brackets that allow t-brakes. It would give me more options if I set the car up with out the t-brake and two step. What kinds of things work good foot braking? Loose converter, ic, shock settings etc. as it sits now I've left a 2k and it's real lazy up to 4500. Doesn't seem to have consistency from 330- 660.
KCIR closing sucked, have you been to Osborn yet? Why not just leave the brake in and race pro?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
You have to decide what works good for you foot braking. Just have to try different things. It all depends on how good the car reacts and how fast it leaves the beams and where you like to leave on the tree.

I leave at 2900 rpm in my car that 60 fts 1.34. I do not like to have to anticipate the last yellow to cut a good light.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The convertor in it now is a little tighter than I'd normally run for brackets. I wasn't sure if I need to ditch the stuff sidewall tires. Sounds like I just need to try stuff and get seat time. As far as a two step they are not allowed for a launching device. What about carb setup, guess I better give blp a call cause I do have some hesitation.

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Its a heavy duty press switch just above the pad on the pedal, You really have to mean to step on it, I just do a brake stand for my burnout and dont step on it, only when I launch the car.

The clutch pedal is just laying there, the car is an auto!
Your ride looks to be early 60's, what is it?

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
also remember that when on the trans brake the suspension is at rest. when your footbraking and up on the convertor your loading the suspension and taking some of the usable travel out of it. you have to do some testing to see what the car likes.
That's a good point, never thought about that.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
how hard can you comfortably come up on the converter. i can come up to 3000 i can easily go 3500 once staged and the gives me the fastest et and 60s. tell us a little more about your combo

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I had problems getting mine to leave consistently and quickly with a stock Holley, but switching to a Pro Systems carb cured that. My converter will stall 5700 on the trans brake, but I leave at around 2200, and use the launch RPM to fine tune my reaction time. One trick I use is to set my accelerator pumps so that they don't start to actuate until the throttle position that gets me about 1800 rpm, so I'm not "wasting" part of my pump shot (saving most of it for the hit at the launch).

It also helped to get a decent converter that flashed consistently at a variety of temperatures. I had an old TCI in it which worked well until it eventually wore out, then I used a locally built converter that had the same stall numbers but was inconsistent with different fluid temperatures. My newest one was built for my combination by Hughes, and it works deadly consistent from 130° up to 220°.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how hard can you comfortably come up on the converter. i can come up to 3000 i can easily go 3500 once staged and the gives me the fastest et and 60s. tell us a little more about your combo
It's a 79 Malibu. SBC, PG, 4.56, 3062S w/tubes, convertor in it now only goes 4800-5k, 3085#, TRZ front, QA1 da's rear, single R's front, TRZ arms and wolfe ARB, 16 gal. cell (used for ballast)
10.0 car in good air on gas. I need to get the carb setup (slight bog,hesitation) need to put other convertor I have in it(500more rpm)? Air pressure has always been 13.5-15 on a t-brake.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
You are more than welcome to come to MoKan.
We have 3 classes, two are footbrake, no tranny brake.

www.mokandragway.com

explore the website,. it's a complete site with lots of links and the best form for all kinds of goodies, from Roller cars, Bikes, ATV's Guns etc., not just a "business card" like so many others.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been down 3 times this year but haven't got the setup down. Still getting used to the lane swaps lol

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
whats the setup on the carb, jets, squirt, mix screws

1 - 20 of 39 Posts