Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I am asking this is I have gone as low on fuel pressure as I want to go and I still need to get a bit leaner.

When working torward a proper tune reading plugs if you need to change a jet to acheive a full burn do you :
Increase the nitrous jet to lean the system further ?..... or
Do you reduce the fuel jet a number or two and move fuel pressure back up and begin to work down again ?

Next question......If you reduce the fuel jet to acheive a good tune is it reducing the power because of less fuel or is it just a trade off because of better A/F ratio and a sharper tune ?

Single stage fogger just looking for some advice on tuning.
I searched and read everything I can find but I could not find a referance to my question so ???????????

·
Registered
579 Posts
just go up on the nitrous pill and leave the fuel pill the same and you don't have to reflow the kit. If you get into some real crazy split start working on your carb. should be between 4-6 on the norm

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
The reason I am asking this is I have gone as low on fuel pressure as I want to go and I still need to get a bit leaner.

When working torward a proper tune reading plugs if you need to change a jet to acheive a full burn do you :
Do you reduce the fuel jet a number or two and move fuel pressure back up and begin to work down again ?

Next question......If you reduce the fuel jet to acheive a good tune is it reducing the power because of less fuel or is it just a trade off because of better A/F ratio and a sharper tune ?

I searched and read everything I can find but I could not find a referance to my question so ???????????
I have done it both ways. Sometimes you can't afford to put more nitrous pill to it. I have cleaned up a tuneup with removing fuel and picked up mph at the same time.

I like to figure out the correct fuel for a given nitrous pill. Some people like to do it the other way.

·
Registered
15,547 Posts

A couple things to think about and remember here...
Now I've probably burned up as much stuff as anyone on here, learnin the hard way. There's many ways to skin this cat.
The fuel is the power, the oxidizer makes it happen..
The safest way that I've found, is to start with any given tuneup and decide what fuel pressure range you want use [I'm a higher pressure guy, myself]. Make it safe to start with, and bring the BURN rate to it until it's nice and clean with no apparent detonation, making adjustments to burn rate [N2O jets] and timing... Do not change any fuel jets. If you get close and have lean or rich cylinders the you have a distribution problem and you need ISC [Individual cylinder control with your ignition [7531].1/2 or 1 degree of timing on any given cylinder that's close will amaze you... Good luck..
Maddawg

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
A couple things to think about and remember here...
Now I've probably burned up as much stuff as anyone on here, learnin the hard way. There's many ways to skin this cat.
The fuel is the power, the oxidizer makes it happen..
The safest way that I've found, is to start with any given tuneup and decide what fuel pressure range you want use [I'm a higher pressure guy, myself]. Make it safe to start with, and bring the BURN rate to it until it's nice and clean with no apparent detonation, making adjustments to burn rate [N2O jets] and timing... Do not change any fuel jets. If you get close and have lean or rich cylinders the you have a distribution problem and you need ISC [Individual cylinder control with your ignition [7531].1/2 or 1 degree of timing on any given cylinder that's close will amaze you... Good luck..
Maddawg
I agree with you. The problem I have is when you know you are on the edge and another .002 may cost you some parts.

·
aka hulk
4,965 Posts
I agree with you. The problem I have is when you know you are on the edge and another .002 may cost you some parts.
thats the EVIL of nitrous;)

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
You really dont need to get that close... Add another unit to it, and start working that out.... then STACKEM, and let it eat... then when that's worked out, add another unit and work that out... and when that 3rd wire comes on... hang the phuck on, she'll be ROLLIN HARD..
3 smaller units are better than one BIG unit or even 2 big units...
It's all about breakin up the Linear power curve..
SAFE with 3 will win more times than on the edge with 1 or 2 systems.... Some Phuckstik named Fulton figured that shit out along time ago..
Kinda miss that Oxidizer stuff.... All I do now is pack the chute, top of the fuel, add a couple of keyboard strokes for tuning, fill that big refrigerator in the back with ice, and find out who we run in the next round....
Gonna miss the "Ice Duty" here pretty soon. Gotta switch to Alcohol... the phuckin race gas is way too expensive....
XBLOWTHRU DAWG:supz:

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
You really dont need to get that close... Add another unit to it, and start working that out.... then STACKEM, and let it eat... then when that's worked out, add another unit and work that out... and when that 3rd wire comes on... hang the phuck on, she'll be ROLLIN HARD..
3 smaller units are better than one BIG unit or even 2 big units...
It's all about breakin up the Linear power curve..
SAFE with 3 will win more times than on the edge with 1 or 2 systems.... Some Phuckstik named Fulton figured that shit out along time ago..
Sounds like fun. I can see how 3 would break it up and be better for the chassis. But you still have a volume limit to work with. I don't see how you could stack 3 foggers no matter how small and end up with a mild hit.

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
Sounds like fun. I can see how 3 would break it up and be better for the chassis. But you still have a volume limit to work with. I don't see how you could stack 3 foggers no matter how small and end up with a mild hit.
Well, 3 stacked is not a mild hit, but you're not hittin 'em all at one time. Depending on your car, chassis, tire, etc.., you leave on the first one, hit the second one on a digital timer somewhere around 1 to 2 seconds into the run, then hit the third one 3 to 4 seconds into the run [digitaly], or after you've got it in high gear, and hang on, you're ROLLIN. Now if you do this with a .026 or .028 gas jet and whatever N2O jet, whatever pressure, on 3 systems, it'll make some ASS, believe me... Volume Limit? Ask Fulton about that and see what he says... He might ask ya if you're workin with a 283 and a 2bbl carb. I asked him once about piston speed when he started puttin 5.300 stroke cranks in his N2O engines. His reply was.. Who gives a shit. When your shit's right, nothin matters, and when it aint, nothin helps...
Guys just dont finess there stuff enough. They get greedy and make dumb decisions which leads to costly mistakes. The best Nitrous tuners out there, are only as good as there best customers that follow instructions to the tee... Ask Steve Johnson
Sorry for the rant...
Maddawg

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well, 3 stacked is not a mild hit, but you're not hittin 'em all at one time. Depending on your car, chassis, tire, etc.., you leave on the first one, hit the second one on a digital timer somewhere around 1 to 2 seconds into the run, then hit the third one 3 to 4 seconds into the run [digitaly], or after you've got it in high gear, and hang on, you're ROLLIN. Now if you do this with a .026 or .028 gas jet and whatever N2O jet, whatever pressure, on 3 systems, it'll make some ASS, believe me... Volume Limit? Ask Fulton about that and see what he says... He might ask ya if you're workin with a 283 and a 2bbl carb. I asked him once about piston speed when he started puttin 5.300 stroke cranks in his N2O engines. His reply was.. Who gives a shit. When your shit's right, nothin matters, and when it aint, nothin helps...
Guys just dont finess there stuff enough. They get greedy and make dumb decisions which leads to costly mistakes. The best Nitrous tuners out there, are only as good as there best customers that follow instructions to the tee... Ask Steve Johnson
Sorry for the rant...
Maddawg

Damn Maddog, you hit that right on the nose...... I like that saying...."when your shit's right, nothin' matters, and when it aint, nothin helps"..........BTW, you're gonna love "Alky"............lol......:cool:

·
RED ROCKET
8,636 Posts
Sorry for the rant...
Maddawg
this makes alot of sense.i am fixin to go back to using all 3 of my kits.2 foggers with 24fuel jets and a 200hp plate.surely that will make 632 run.

·
RED ROCKET
8,636 Posts
track was slick and it blew the tires off every time even with the controller stretched way out.i am losing faith in the progressives

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
BigMo,
If you are not limited to a jet, just keep adding air, until the plugs get where you want them, but as someone else said, beware the timing as you get it clean. The cleaner the tune, the more heat you make and the less timing you need. There is a theory going around right now (saw it more than once at Joliet), that says since the fuel makes all the power, lets shove a bunch of extra fuel in there and burn it with timing...sorry guys, it just does not work that way. You can't FORCE a motor to burn more fuel than it needs, given a certain amount of oxygen. So while the fuel DOES make the power, you must have enough of the oxidizer present to make that happen. Any more extra fuel than you need, just blows out the exhaust and what does not come out there, beats up your rings and pistons during the combustion process.
As far as adding .002 to your tune and getting it lean enough to burn...likely never going to happen. For one, hardly anybody is near that close and second, you have to be EXTREMELY lean to hurt parts. As an example, we got a Pro-Street car so lean this weekend, that the cylinder actually got cold on the EGTs because of the lack of fuel and the plug actually looked rich, because of the lack of heat. Now this is an EFI car and we have absolute control, but the point is, we got it really lean, 13:6 on the A/F in high gear, lean enough that the EGTs went crazy low, it was popping out the exhaust....but... never hurt a thing. Put a little fuel back in it and everything was fine. You will likely never hurt anything lean, but you will certainly tear up a ton of stuff with huge fuel loads, too much timing, or both.
And Savage is right, you can make big steam with multiple hits, but the more systems you stack on, the more right the tune has to be. A nasty tune with two or three guns, really compounds the problem in a hurry.

Monte

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
Monte. I agree with the strategy you use. But I feel a motor can only live with so much spray no matter how good the tune is. So If you know you are damn near the limit with a big hit and the car really won't respond to more nitrous why give it more just to clean it up? Why not pull a small amount of fuel out?

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
Sometimes you do get there, but in this specific case, he is nowhere near the nitrous limit of the motor. All combos and situations are different. That is why I specifically put my response to the original poster, instead of just a general statement.

Monte

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Sometimes you do get there, but in this specific case, he is nowhere near the nitrous limit of the motor. All combos and situations are different. That is why I specifically put my response to the original poster, instead of just a general statement.

Monte
Is there any "rule of thumb" on the nitrous limit to a motor? Not strength wise, but power wise...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts