Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one own a fn 57 on here.Looking to buy one I would like to hear opinions from owners

·
Registered
113 Posts
Works well, large capacity, and with the right ammo deadly. Kinda bulky for a ccw.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Cheaper and more easily concealed, yes. More potent, not even close. 357 sig is a necked down 40. 5.7 is a miniature version of a high powered, bottle neck cartridge.

·
Dick for hire
17,960 Posts
I will say that I have never met a single person who was dissatisfied with their purchase after buying one. Ammo is expensive is about the only downside. But they're pretty much one of the best pistols you can own.

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
Had one when they first came out. [IOM model] Expensive ammo, can't get the good ammo, can't really carry it. It's very unique, no recoil, accurate in a pistol, to moderate distances in a rifle.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Deadly? Who told you that? It's effectively the same as a 22WMR, which, while useful in it's own way, is not highly touted as a self defense cartridge. FN has a very good PR machine.

A few PD's with more money than sense have tried them, with generally unhappy results when they actually had to shoot people with them(in the P90 platform). In one incident, I believe the suspect stopped of his own free will and asked the officers to please stop shooting him because "it really hurts." While the same thing could happen with just about any pistol caliber, that sort of incident does not inspire confidence in your weapon.

It was designed for punching holes in soft body armour. With the .mil issue ammo, it does that fairly well. What it does after that is rather unimpressive. In the P90 size envelope, you can get a gas piston 6.8SPC or 5.56 SBR M4. In the pistol size envelope, you can get a 1911 or BHP or any other viable service weapon and just shoot them in the face(repeatedly) if they're wearing armour.

It has high novelty, "chicks think it's cool" factor, but it's not a good choice for a real weapon. S/F....Ken M

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
they are a fun gun to shoot (although ammo is pricey), but not very practical for self defense.
for what they cost, i'd but two kel tec pmr 30s, put one in each hand, and have money left over for ammo.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guy's.I am looking for a carry gun I'll look elsewhere If I need to use it to stop a mother fucker I want it to stop the mother fucker.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Learn how to read for starters. Who said it was more potent?
Sorry my mistake. What I was talking about was "just about as potent". Sorry for the mistake I was in a hurry. Just don't shoot me please.

·
Gremlin Hunter
5,160 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
There is also a company that makes an AR-15 upper chambered in 5.7X28.............. http://www.57center.com/1.html would make a nice pair.

I had one of these, mine kept blowing the primers out. My ps90 was more fun and faster for CQB.
( not intended for salty dog)
This statement bothers me, only because I assume you are a marine and have a brain of your own to think with. I really hope you don't believe this.

(A few PD's with more money than sense have tried them, with generally unhappy results when they actually had to shoot people with them(in the P90 platform). In one incident, I believe the suspect stopped of his own free will and asked the officers to please stop shooting him because "it really hurts." While the same thing could happen with just about any pistol caliber, that sort of incident does not inspire confidence in your weapon.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Having followed the FN 5.7x28 since it was developed, I don't find it hard to believe. Another nonstarter is the 4.6x30 from HK. The original loadings used an aluminum core bullet, and I believe they've moved to plastic for the sharp nose "AP" loading. As such, you'll have no expansion. So, like I said, you have what's essentially a 22WMR, just with hugely better PR. FN has been pimping this thing hard since day one. Remember the Peru Embassy siezure? Purportedly, very early P90's were used there, why, I have no idea, but I have some ideas. Mostly revolving around the concept of getting to sell an entirely new weapons class and all it's accessories to a bunch of gullible(or flat out corrupt) REMF's in the DC area.

Having been involved with a fairly high number of shootings, involving everything from 9mm FMJ to 40mm HEDP, I do not find that story unbelievable. 5.56, a caliber with vastly greater performance, has been disappointing on several occasions IME. Bullet placement is critical, this is assumed, but I find no reason to handicap yourself with a marginal caliber like 5.6x28. S/F.....Ken M

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
There is also a company that makes an AR-15 upper chambered in 5.7X28.............. http://www.57center.com/1.html would make a nice pair.

A friend has one. He goes to North Dakota to play with his firearms a couple times a year. He said 1-200 yards the 5.7 round stays at about 1 MOA. After that, it drops like a stone.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I have been looking into it recently as an extremely cheap round for rifle varminting. 50 bucks will buy you a ton of once fired brass. A pound of powder would load a couple hundred rounds. And I have a huge amount of bulk bullets.

My desire is to build a very lightweight, 16" rifle. The problem is finding an action. Savage chambers the model 40 in it now. That action doesn't have an aftermarket support for mods though. Ideally, I would like to find a cz action but am unsure about the bolt face to start with.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Jinx, the breakout for economy of scale would have to be massive to see any real savings over a 22 Hornet, especially a K-hornet where its not stretching brass so quickly. Ramshot has loading data, from a 16" tube, you'll be seeing around 2400-2500fps witg 35gn bullets, but I bet they'll be quiet. S/F....Ken M

·
Registered
954 Posts
Having followed the FN 5.7x28 since it was developed, I don't find it hard to believe. Another nonstarter is the 4.6x30 from HK. The original loadings used an aluminum core bullet, and I believe they've moved to plastic for the sharp nose "AP" loading. As such, you'll have no expansion. So, like I said, you have what's essentially a 22WMR, just with hugely better PR. FN has been pimping this thing hard since day one. Remember the Peru Embassy siezure? Purportedly, very early P90's were used there, why, I have no idea, but I have some ideas. Mostly revolving around the concept of getting to sell an entirely new weapons class and all it's accessories to a bunch of gullible(or flat out corrupt) REMF's in the DC area.

Having been involved with a fairly high number of shootings, involving everything from 9mm FMJ to 40mm HEDP, I do not find that story unbelievable. 5.56, a caliber with vastly greater performance, has been disappointing on several occasions IME. Bullet placement is critical, this is assumed, but I find no reason to handicap yourself with a marginal caliber like 5.6x28. S/F.....Ken M
I too am adverse on both rounds, I have read an autopsy report on the 5.7 and witnessed an autopsy on the 5.56. The 5.56 will average 8” to 12” penetration with possible pass through, and create about a 4” to 6” hemorrhage. The 5.7 will create the same hemorrhage but with about 6” to 8” depth with no pass through. (From a p90). Out of 11 hits with the 5.56, two failed and passed through.

With all this in mind, we must remember all bullets fail at one time or another, and placement is always a criteria. I am sure PR had alot to do with the selection of this round.

·
Registered
37 Posts
didn't that yahoo psychiatrist use a 5.7 in his ft hood attack? he killed 13 and wounded 30 many of whom were charging him in an attempt to stop him. i believe he had a .357 mag in his posession that was unfired.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts