Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hutch,

What's the deal on fluids? Type F, Dex. III, Synthetic etc.... why do some trans guys like to recommend Type F in thier transmissions?

·
Super Moderator
19,356 Posts
Type "F" just has more bite, thats about it. The type f was used in ford transmissions with sintered bronze clutch plates and if you used dexron oil these transmissions would slip noticably. Dexron has friction modifiers that cushion shifting.
Racing and type f fluid have always gone hand in hand although type F will not handle high temperatures or protect wear sufaces as well as dexron or synthetic fluids in my opinion.

I have had customers report that temperatures were reduced when switching from type f to dexron and reduced furthur to some synthetic brands or hydraulic oils.

Take care ,Hutch

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Type "F" just has more bite, thats about it. The type f was used in ford transmissions with sintered bronze clutch plates and if you used dexron oil these transmissions would slip noticably. Dexron has friction modifiers that cushion shifting.
Racing and type f fluid have always gone hand in hand although type F will not handle high temperatures or protect wear sufaces as well as dexron or synthetic fluids in my opinion.

I have had customers report that temperatures were reduced when switching from type f to dexron and reduced furthur to some synthetic brands or hydraulic oils.

Take care ,Hutch
can these be mixed? In other words, standard trans service that has had dexron, drained and refilled the balance with Type F.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
what type of hydraulic is supposed to be used i have heard alot of people talking about it. is it really that good or should i just use race fluid.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I've heard of people using John Deere hydraulic fluid in there race transmissions. Will this hurt the trans ??

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Here's some good info on tractor fluids....I recently switched to Case "Hy-tran" in my glide to see if it helps with clutch slippage or if it brings the flash stall down any. Its pretty inexpensive stuff too compared to synthetic. I was running straight synthetic Dexron.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58907.200

Craig

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
I have been running a Chevron Hyd (w/ a little f for color) in alot of stuff these days. It works fine plus it comes in 5 Gallon buckets.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Trans Fluid????

Over the years we learned not 1 type of fluid works best for all aplications

For lower hp applications including street a synthetic type dexron fluid resists vistcosity change well and provides adequate gear train protection , Because it's blended in a synthetic process , there is less friction within itself so you'll likely save a couple of hp

For 1000+ hp aplications were high RPM's , Torque , and heavy weight are a factor then we recomend Swepco's 714 20 weight ,[ www.swepcousa.com ] or John Deere Hygaurd hydraulic transmission fluid , these we have found do the best at protecting the gear train by reducing the friction between the gear teeth , but don't try to suck the Johny stuff through anything but a screen type filter , it's speced at 60 weight

·
Registered
971 Posts
Do you use John Deere hygaurd transmission fluid straight or do you mix it with dexron(I have a Th400 trans)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Many of the quick lubes around here use DexIII/Merc in EVERYTHING, and have almost NO failures. (Scary, I know...) I guess if you only change the fluid every 100-150,000 miles, ANY new fluid would be better.

My company uses Texaco's universal ATF any vehicles that require Dex, Merc/MercV, +4, Honda, Mitsu, and Toyota. Beyond that, we use Merc SP for the new PowerStrokes, and Dex VI for new GM stuff.

And Type F in the Powerglide. ;)

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
quickwrench....I think Chris was specifically referring to race trannies not your grandma's oldsmobile.

R/T......I mixed a quart or so of regular Dexron atf with the Case Hy-tran just to give it some color. The tractor fluids are clear.

Craig

·
Registered
971 Posts

For 1000+ hp aplications were high RPM's , Torque , and heavy weight are a factor then we recomend Swepco's 714 20 weight ,[ www.swepcousa.com ] or John Deere Hygaurd hydraulic transmission fluid , these we have found do the best at protecting the gear train by reducing the friction between the gear teeth , but don't try to suck the Johny stuff through anything but a screen type filter , it's speced at 60 weight
Do you know the part number for the screen type filter for a th400. The local auto stores around me have never heard of a screen filter for a th400.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

For lower hp applications including street a synthetic type dexron fluid resists vistcosity change well and provides adequate gear train protection , Because it's blended in a synthetic process , there is less friction within itself so you'll likely save a couple of hp

Hey Lenny do you recommend it in my Aod?? CAn I get a screen filter from you???

·
Registered
485 Posts
amsoil

i heard some people using a heavyweight amsoil synthetic
made the converter do some tricks and or be more efficient

which made a couple mph?.....

any truth to this?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts