Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just went down the road for the first time in my bb 69 camaro with 1 camber flowmasters and its as loud as stright headers whats a good muffler to use that want get me a ticket?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I run Magna flow straight thru mufflers,quiet at idle and cruise,no droning,fairly loud when you get on it.I had flowmaster 40 series,very loud at idle,lots of droning at cruise,and the cops always looking at my car,I even got pulled over because of the flowmasters,but not ticketed.Now that I got the Magna flows car runs stronger and much quieter until I get on it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I went from a Flowmaster to a Dynomax welded series not the bullet. It was a night and day difference, with no loss of HP. I couldn't believe how much quieter they we're. They also gave the engine a better sound in my opinion. I could actually here what the engine sounded like and not that irritating Flowmaster sound.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
dynatech splitflow are great. they made a big difference on my car over the bullets which im sure is just as loud as your flowys.

·
Registered
920 Posts
i just put some pypes race pros on my car yesterday. sounds really good. still abit loud but nothing like the bullets i had. lol

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The single chamber is probably the loudest muffler that flow make, you could go to a two chamber and notice a big difference.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Flowmaster Delta's on mine. No tickets for noise. Although I did make a set of DB killers for the street just in case. Used them for the initial DOT inspection, and haven't been back in since.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
With the flowmasters, I had the small case 3.5 inch 2 chambers, and they were just as loud as open headers, they only changed how it sounded, not the sound level. I talked with FLowmaster, and they said I needed to run some pipe after the muffler. So I added schoenfield 45 deg, 3.5in dia tubing, that was around 1.5 ft long to angle the exhaust out the side fo the car, and it made a night and day difference in how loud they were at idle and cruising, but were still pretty loud during hard accelerations.

·
Butch
8,207 Posts
I like the way they sound at idle (Flowmaster) and cruise but I don't like the "hollow sound" they make when you jump on it.

My Hooker Aero Chamber's sound freaking awesome, they have that deep rumble like Flowmaster but when you jump on it, they have like a Bullet muffler sound, but at idle and cruise throaty.

I use Pypes now and their Race Pro is an excellent muffler with a different sound, very reasonable too. I also suggested a local racer to use Pypes and he picked up ET adding Pypes Race Pro. I went with Race Pro this time to make it quiet yet still sound good.

Years ago my hydraulic flat tappet engine used Cherry Bomb header mufflers, and I can say they have a sound of their own. They didn't sound like most glass packs and most header mufflers.

My last two systems over the past 4 years were the Hooker Aero Chamber's with a Flowmaster pipe kit, and then the complete Pypes Stainless Steel System,,, Both fit EXCELLENT. For my application (GM "A" Body, 1970 Chevelle), everything fit exactly as it is suppose to fit, both the Pypes kit and Flowmaster kit

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dynomax welded race magnums on mine, the oval mufflers not round ones. Night and day difference over the flow masters, sound wise. To me my car seemed a little stronger. The ET and MPH didn't reflect a power increase though.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
My Hooker Aero Chamber's sound freaking awesome, they have that deep rumble like Flowmaster but when you jump on it, they have like a Bullet muffler sound, but at idle and cruise throaty.
I really like the sound of those mufflers. I was going to use them myself but i ran across the powersticks mufflers that are supposed to be like old corvette mufflers. They sound great but i can't speak about power.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
My last car had homemade mufflers... Really just some medal to make them look like bullets with a very small amoun of insulation or whatever..... Car was crazy loud even at idle... Was a bbc with hooker super comps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts