Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
One day I will have a day
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I reading right that the floor needs to be .024 thick steel minimum ? Also , on a 25.5 chassis , can the drive shaft tunnel and transmission cover be made of aluminum ? I have a tunnel kit from ART and don't want to cut it up if it's not legal .
Thanks in advance !

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
I thought you could use steel or aluminum in 25.5. Aluminum has got to be thicker than the steel.

Never heard of the floor needing to be steel.. I may be wrong, but I was planning on all aluminum in my 25.5.

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
Drivers side .024 MIN.From under your ass to the firewall. .032 alum or carbon for the rest.Tunnel can be alum.

So are you saying no aluminum under the drivers side?

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Tunnel can be alum or carbn fiber, it is covering the real protective device/shield anyway - it isn't structural. The drivers' floor and lower part of firewall is steel, welded, i do the passenger floor too to keep the structual integrity the same on either side. The welded firewall/floor pan become a shear plate and adds a great deal of strength. A complete bare chassis with steel floor pan & firewall weights 200#'s.

·
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok you have me there . Your saying the lower part of the firewall , what exactly is that ? I have an aluminum firewall . It goes a-pillar to a-pillar , floor to cowl . Is it not going to pass ? I cut the cowl vent off and moved the firewall back approx. 8 inches . Then , I capped the a-pillar off with sheet metal and welded it on (20ga.) . I put the aluminum firewall in between those sheet metal covers . Wish I had my dam camera , I'd post a pic of it . Can anyone tell by my explaination if it will pass cert ?

·
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So just the floor has to be steel ? I can deal with that . Previous post said firewall also . My floor and firewall meet at a 90 degree angle . Firewall is aluminum . Floor is steel or at least it will be . Just trying to clarify the firewall part of what was posted .

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
No, firewall shouldnt need to be steel unless your class rules mandate it. Only the drivers floor. Some may require steel firewalls...I know Pro Stocks do, but 25-5 you should be fine with aluminum.

·
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Kyle ! Ok now I can start to move foreward again . I was like lost for a bit there .....moving sideways and backwards !!!

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
I am going to double check with SFI. My chassis guy never said it needed to be steel under the drivers side and I never read that anywhere in the 25.5. specs.

Do you have a page number you can reference for us with some of the lingo to go with it? There are a lot of way to build the 25.5. which what you have, so steel floors may not be needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts