Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be going to look at a 2002 Grand Am in a couple hours for my daughter. Seller states it has flood damaged title, he thinks the title is about a year old.

How long after flood damage whould someone think the "flood bugs" should be worked out of the car?

If the car checks out it is a pretty good deal but I don't want flood problems to keep coming up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The way I would think about it is if he had it for only a year... Why's he selling it?

·
Race Car Poor
8,359 Posts
Think of you daughter stranded on the side of the road cause corrosion fucked the connections up inside the computer

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Even once the water has dried, there is a super-fine grit/dust (think brown talcum powder) that permeates EVERYTHING and interferes with switch and relay function darn near forever.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
A freind bought a 90 chevy truck that was flooded on the dealers lot,new, still has it, no problems whatsoever, but maybe he's lucky.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I bought a flood recovery 2005 Lincoln Navigator a couple years ago. It was still on the salvage certificate (hadn't been cleaned or fixed, and wasn't titled yet). It had 37,000 when I bought it.

As I was cleaning things up, I realized water had been over the dash. It was obviously clean water and their wasn't dirty deposits left around like a normal flood recovery has.

The trans wouldn't shift, which ended up being water in the harness connector.

The radio and interior lights would stay on after you pulled the key out, the power running boards wouldn't work, sun roof didn't work, etc. I replaced the fuse panel ($200 from Ford with all new fuses, relays, and breakers) and it took care of all the issues. One power seat motor wasn't working, so I took it apart and cleaned it well. After all of that, everything worked as it should.

We put 30,000 miles on it in a year, then decided to find a smaller vehicle. We sold it to a friend of my wife, and he has been driving it ever since. It has 100,000 miles now and still no other issues.

I wouldn't expect them all to turn out like this, but I don't look at flood recovery vehicles as badly now.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A NICE "non flooded" 02 GR AM IS ONLY WORTH $2000. why bother
Thanks all for the feed back. I think I'll pass on this one.

As far as a $2000 car goes, I wish I could find something decent for 2K. Prices are nuts out there and she has been looking for a while.

Oh well, the search continues.....

·
Race Car Poor
8,359 Posts
Grand ams, gran prixs, monte carlos, Impalas are a dime a dozen down here

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
All depends on how they cleaned out the car after the flood. EVERYTHING needs to be taken out of the interior. ALL the interior down to bare floor. ALL the electrical needs to come out(even the fuse block & fuses) & dry all the connectors with compressed air & leave them sit in the sun. Pressure wash any interior parts that can be washed, especially the carpet. REPLACE the carpet padding. IT IS CHEAP, no reason not to. If possible leave the car open in a garage for a few days or out on the sun & push to safety at night.

I used to fix flood cars. I had my Bonne SSEi flooded & fixed it all myself. I even told the buyer & if they wanted they could take it anywhere on my dime, or I would pull it apart for them to inspect EVERYTHING. I paid $100 for a shop to take it apart & they found NO signs of flood damage, with exception of newly added carpet padding. He thought I was lying.
BTW I sold it two years after it got flooded.

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Thanks all for the feed back. I think I'll pass on this one.

As far as a $2000 car goes, I wish I could find something decent for 2K. Prices are nuts out there and she has been looking for a while.

Oh well, the search continues.....
So $2K is your max(can you do 2500-2700) What is your time frame for purchase..ASAP? you looking for a 4 door, or just a decent automatic car for $2000?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Gonna be quite a few vehicles being sold in florida that have been flooded in the last week. Be careful if you are buying in florida. i saw a bunch of used car lots with cars that had water over the rocker panels.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Also depend's on how much water,i have seen some be up to the wheel hub's and get totaled due to water damage and nothing but maby the carpet wet,then seen some under water.I have had a few and know some other's that had some and no long term problem's.When we got flooded last year i bought a few from the insurance and dried them out and as far as i know the people still own them today and see them every so often and no problems.But it was fresh water.

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts

·
Registered
18,302 Posts
Look in the trunk insulation, air conditioner filters, door panels and under the front/rear seats for black mold. I never could get the smell out of my truck after I took it swimming. Every winter anyone who rode in the truck would get sick. My corrision and electrical problems started about a year after I put it in the river, door lights, and heater controls were the biggest problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts