Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see it's the 40th anniversary of the crash of flight 191, the deadliest non terrorist air liner crash in US history.
i was on the northwest tollway, inbound to shitcago, near the des plaines oasis, when it happened. seemed like time stood still, as i saw the plane sideways, and seeing it go down. didnt see actual impact, due to the treeline, but the fireball was immense. traffic was usual heavy, abouts 30mph. as it happened, looking left and right, every driver i saw, was watching it. everyone either pulled onto the shoulder, or onto the oasis. a sight i will never forget.

i see it is the 40th anniversary of the crash of flight 191 at ohare. the deadliest non terrorist air crash ever in the US. I was inbound on the tollway, saw the plane flying sideways, and crash. didnt see the impact, as that was hidden by tress. but the fireball was huge!.
seems like everyone on the e way saw it, and alot of vehicles pulled over on the shoulder, or onto the oasis, to watch.

i see it is the 40th anniversary of the crash of flight 191 at ohare. the deadliest non terrorist air crash ever in the US. I was inbound on the tollway, saw the plane flying sideways, and crash. didnt see the impact, as that was hidden by tress. but the fireball was huge!.
seems like everyone on the e way saw it, and alot of vehicles pulled over on the shoulder, or onto the oasis, to watch.

·
Registered
37,578 Posts
An American Airlines maintenance shortcut caused the whole thing. Wasn't a design fault, pilot error or weather.

·
Registered
37,578 Posts
something with the engine mount--they raised an engine up with a forklift and cracked it...i think ?

They were supposed to keep the replacement engine separated from its pylon, mount the pylon and then the engine. But they saved about 3 hours labor leaving them joined. The resulting stress on the pylon as it was being bolted to the wing - that engine weighs 5 tons - put it in a bind which led to it failing completely. They found several more on other planes that were close to failure.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
They were supposed to keep the replacement engine separated from its pylon, mount the pylon and then the engine. But they saved about 3 hours labor leaving them joined. The resulting stress on the pylon as it was being bolted to the wing - that engine weighs 5 tons - put it in a bind which led to it failing completely. They found several more on other planes that were close to failure.

ah--i forgot that

the mechanics should have been charged with manslaughter at least

·
Aviation Section
25,376 Posts
Pretty much how it happened. They were supposed to use a strongback to raise the engine in the proper angle and tilt to install it but they did not, the pylon was over stressed and when the engine came off it took out all the leading edge hydraulics which deployed leading edge devices and stalled the wing not to mention the total loss of hydraulics and flight controls.

Sadly these short-cuts happen at every airline. Thankfully these aircraft are built so well with so much thought put into redundant systems that we hardly hear of all the things that happen because of Pilots and Mechanics errors! Dave

·
Son of Mr. David-get it ?
15,691 Posts
An American Airlines maintenance shortcut caused the whole thing. Wasn't a design fault, pilot error or weather.
When I used to fly all I could think about while seated at the terminal and looking out the window at the ground crew was..." I sure hope the mechanics are good at their job...and not all doped up "

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
I see it's the 40th anniversary of the crash of flight 191, the deadliest non terrorist air liner crash in US history.
i was on the northwest tollway, inbound to shitcago, near the des plaines oasis, when it happened. seemed like time stood still, as i saw the plane sideways, and seeing it go down. didnt see actual impact, due to the treeline, but the fireball was immense. traffic was usual heavy, abouts 30mph. as it happened, looking left and right, every driver i saw, was watching it. everyone either pulled onto the shoulder, or onto the oasis. a sight i will never forget.

Goodfellas anyone? I gotta get da papers, get da papers, get da papers

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
I was on I-94 heading towards Detroit when Northwest 255 crashed about 1/4 mile in front of me....

That was one fucked up night:(
A guy I went to school with died on that one. RIP GARY.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Maintenance accident. The pilots had some control but the stick shaker was disabled. They didnt know the wing was stalled and had slowed the aircraft per engine out procedure. Had they known and kept their speed up it may have been fecoverable.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
I used to work for the Hyster dealership in Bellwood, IL. They were the ones who sold and serviced the S150A the airline used. The dealership and Hyster got blamed. The airline tried to say the lift cylinder on the forklift drifted down and overstressed the pylon.

Some of the guys I worked with were called out to O'hare during the investigation. They had to test the lift while all the big wheels were there. The lift did not drift and Hyster and the dealership were released from liability.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts