Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been a couple years with my stainless hotside and the vibrant flex joints are rattling pretty bad. My engine is solid mounted and my turbo is mounted to frame. What do you guys recommend for a replacement or just run a straight section with a vband ?

·
Registered
17,010 Posts
I myself use SPD flex's in mine. SPD builds world class products, and these are no exception. I cut out the first SPD flex's I used in my hotside, because I was concerned after 200+ passes (24+ psi) they may be getting tired. How pissed was I when I cut apart my coated hotside and the flex's looked like brand new inside. The current set is going on 4 years as well. You also need to keep in mind, these flex's are really meant for axial (straight line) expansion and contraction. If you have any radial load's on these, they will eventually fail. I myself have the flex bellows without issue, but they also make a slip joint bellows. 625 inconel material. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Reactions: C5 Pete

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Depends on the budget and the build IMO. For cheapy JY LS builds I always used mild steel with no flex. If you are running big $ manifolds and motors slip joints are the way to go. I had really good luck over many years with mild steel. 2.25 16g piping on factory manifolds. Turbo hard mounted to the frame. Bellows vary in quality as well. You’ll pay quite a bit for a nice set. Vibrant are bottom of the barrel IMO. They have failed on everything I’ve seen them put on… eventually.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've got one of the braided deals on my Huron Speed hotside passenger side pipe.
I'm with @mufflerguy , I think it depends on how they are used.
I talked to Jon at HS about these flex joints and he has yet to see one fail on these kits, on his kits the turbo is mounted to the engine so their is no movement, the flex joint only has to account for thermal expansion.
This may be why he hasn't seen any failures as opposed to when the turbo is mount to the chassis.
I could very easily see them coming apart with all the movement present especially if stock mounts are used.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I used the treadstone flex joints, the braided style with internal liner. They say they are designed for preturbo use lol so far i never had an issue. Ran a set on my front mount sbc twin turbo deal. Street car so got alot of heat cycles and they were fine . Got a set in the exhaust section leading to my rear mounts now and they see less heat but more movement bu so far they are good and i dont expect issues

1 - 15 of 15 Posts