Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Ass, Gas or Grass
15,781 Posts
Interesting...

·
46,949 Posts
Looks like Spectra-Chrome and if it is it's *J*U*N*K*!

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
any more info on that process?
I was wrong in the title; I posted too quickly - should have been Spray Chrome Application. Anyway, this is indeed spectra spray chrome. Flash chrome is an electrolytic process utilising a chromic acid-based electrolyte. (I was looking for flash chrome when I found this.) This spray chrome stuff is something I have no real knowledge of, but there's a few videos out there on it and some more info on the web, even DIY home kits. It goes on like a paint and is as durable, which is to say it's not very durable. It is aesthetic only.

·
Ass, Gas or Grass
15,781 Posts
Whatever happened to Alsa?

·
46,949 Posts
I was wrong in the title; I posted too quickly - should have been Spray Chrome Application. Anyway, this is indeed spectra spray chrome. Flash chrome is an electrolytic process utilising a chromic acid-based electrolyte. (I was looking for flash chrome when I found this.) This spray chrome stuff is something I have no real knowledge of, but there's a few videos out there on it and some more info on the web, even DIY home kits. It goes on like a paint and is as durable, which is to say it's not very durable. It is aesthetic only..
This is the day I bolted on my Spectra-Chromed bumper.......

This is what it looked like the first time it was out in the sun and it's much worse now.......

·
46,949 Posts
At this point I could deal with the orange peel, it's the fuckin' gold bumper which I have now that pisses me off.

·
time to go racing yet ?
30,082 Posts
cant chrome a fiberglass bumper..... if thats what LAD has ???

i wonder if they used a cheap clear coat that was not UV stable???

·
46,949 Posts
cant chrome a fiberglass bumper..... if thats what LAD has ???

i wonder if they used a cheap clear coat that was not UV stable???
Yes, it's 'glass and I went through a lot of trouble to make it look like the original steel bumper.

All the product put on mine was from Spectra-Chrome and it started turning gold within a 1/2 day of being in the sun. Some days it's not as bad as other but there are times it's very gold.

Found out later that this is a Spectra-Chrome quality (or lack there of) trait.

FUCKIN' SCRAP!

·
46,949 Posts
https://www.paulschrome.com/

These guys chrome plastic. and fiberglass with real chrome, using copper base.
So does (did?) Advance Plating but actual chrome plating a 'glass bumper defeats the purpose.

As the guys at Advance told me, the process adds weight as it adds metals (copper, nickel, chrome) and when the process is done a 'glass bumper will weigh almost as much as a steel bumper.

I'm not doing this just for the look.

BTW: Paul's does awesome work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts