21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Smart Ass Conservative
100,713 Posts
Boats = Ass , you gotsa get it .

·
Former RJ instigator
39,179 Posts
The two happiest days of pleasure boat ownership, the day you buy it, and the day you sell it. ;)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Go to classicmako and look around. I did a Mako 17 and wished I had just bought a newer boat. At least restore a flatback Aquasport or an old classic flats boat.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I’m looking to make it into something I can run 50 miles out on. I don’t want to just part it out and sell it. A new 25ft boat cost over 100k dollars
How much do you think this project will cost you? Have you priced a 300hp outboard?

·
Smart Ass Conservative
100,713 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
I ACTUALLY REPLACED A TRANSOM ON A MACO CENTER CONSOLE...WITH 3/8 PLATE ON BOTH SIDES OF THE GLASS...SILICONE...AND HALF INCH BOLTS...WORKED LIKE A CHARM....LOL
that's applying a bandaid not transom replacement! 300 will be going deep sea diving!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
How much do you think this project will cost you? Have you priced a 300hp outboard?
Looked at some used 4 strokes. Look to be around 8k. Wouldn’t buy a new one.

I’m thinking if I get the boat for 2,500, put 2500 into fixing the hull myself, 1000 for paint and 8k for a motor I can have it done under 15k and have a big boat with a reliable motor

·
Smart Ass Conservative
100,713 Posts
I looked into buying new at 12 years but the payments still to high. A new boat is insane in price that’s why I’m looking to go down this road
You are just scared of commitment

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Good thing about old boats is when things get sketchy you just give it more gas. Also if ur ole lady bumps the dock who cares. With a new boat you spend too much time worrying and taking off water spots. No time for that. I wanna throw my Emptey cans in the trash and head to the house

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I’m looking to make it into something I can run 50 miles out on. I don’t want to just part it out and sell it. A new 25ft boat cost over 100k dollars
And in the end, this one won't cost more than about double what a new one sells for. Fuckin' money pits, particuarly when they sit for extended periods. Shit dries out and cracks. Shit that started as a little bit rusty are now brown powder. These things are like project cars except the budget is on steroids.

So, yeah, grab it, sounds like a smokin' deal!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
And in the end, this one won't cost more than about double what a new one sells for. Fuckin' money pits, particuarly when they sit for extended periods. Shit dries out and cracks. Shit that started as a little bit rusty are now brown powder. These things are like project cars except the budget is on steroids.

Never understood the

I’ve had a lot of boats and one thing I ain’t never did is let one sit unless it’s just for the winter. I’m on the water about every other weekend

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Jump right in and you'll find out!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts