Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Smoked another CTD
3,955 Posts
I looked into FItech for my current project. found a lot of guys having issues with the IAC contributing to idle problems that couldn't be sorted. the user friendly aspect and self learning of holley, along with the current "holley days" sale made me pull the trigger on a dominator setup.

Mike
I recently installed a Holley Terminator in place of a FiTech setup on a SBC with a nitrous plate. Car would never run right before the swap. I wanted him to go to sequential setup but he wanted the throttle body deal instead. Engine does not make a lot of vacuum with it nitrous cam. Probably over cammed. But not any trouble with the Holley and a little work on my laptop. I adjusted the fueling and timing below 3000rpm manually and set the closed loop to start there. Starts right up and idles all by itself now even on a 20* day. Would never do that with the carb or the FiTech. No more mid range stumble.

I set the nitrous up with the Holley also. Now a dry setup with injectors taking care of the nitrous shot. Jetted at 100hp instead of it previous 150hp. Should go just as quick if not quicker now that it runs correctly. Should run low 11s on motor and mid 10s on a 100 shot.

·
Smoked another CTD
3,955 Posts
I see your guys point, however the Ulitmate LS setup isn't a throttle body injection like the regular FITech deals, its a mulit-port traditional setup with 8 injectors on each cylinder.
So you put it on and you have an off idle part throttle stumble or it will not idle. How do you fix it? Your options are limited.

With a setup like the Holley you have more options .

·
Smoked another CTD
3,955 Posts
Point taken. However, the only way the problem would travel over to the setup I'm looking at is if it's in the tuning software as everything else is different. If I had to guess, I would say that the stumbles most of the Go EFI TBI systems are having, are due to poor distribution caused by combinations of only using 4 injectors and whatever intake manifold they are utilizing.
What I am getting at is you can not just get the FiTech software and download it to your laptop. My limited experience with FiTech is it does work that way. Where can you download the software? How can easily alter the tune up manually cell by cell if needed? My experience is you can not easily do that like you can with Holley, Haltech, Fast, BS3, ProEFI, MS3Pro , and so on. If FiTech works, then it is great. If it does not your limited in what you can do to fix it.

The idle and off idle issues can happen with multi port injection also. Very common.
I tuned a 1200hp twin turbo LSX a couple months ago. I had manually tune the idle, starting cold and hot, and part throttle below 3000 rpm. The learning and closed loop worked great above that RPM but not so much below.

My advise is find a tuner in your area that has a good reputation and see what system he prefers and go that way. Do it once and be done with it.

·
Smoked another CTD
3,955 Posts
I tune my own stuff and while I'm no expert tuner by any means, I get by (see sig). I know FiTech has the ability to be tuned by laptop, however, I haven't been able to find the software downloadable online. A buddy of mine has an SBC with a Go EFI system on it and I'm going over there tomorrow to look through his software on his laptop and see how it compares to what I'm familiar with, which is Holley and some BS3 along with HPTuners.

I looked at the FAST EZ EFI 2.0 LS kit which is around $1440 but you still need an intake, injectors, TB, fuel pump, lines ect which would put total investment well over the $1995 for the Ultimate LS system.

For this setup, again I'm not looking to push this NA LS close to any edge. I'd just like a simple system to hook up, let it do most of the tuning and give good driveability.
I tried to get the software myself for FiTech to fix it before removing it and going Holley. You can read online of guys with similar issues taking months to get a copy of the software and base calibration. That is why it was removed and replaced with the Holley. I did notice the Holley HP is your sig. That is why I recommend going that way. I had no way to tell who tuned but I could be reasonably certain someone near you could tune it. So go that way. The path of least resistance and the far better customer support the Holley system offers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.