Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
136,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some input. I have heard good and bad about fishing after a rain fall. Some say its the best time and others say its the worst. Im heading out tomorrow AM to Paint Creek to do some trout fishing. The local fly shop said it been very good there for trout the past week. Right now it's ready to rain. This river is fed from a lake around 10 miles up stream. The water never gets above 70*'s from what Im reading (and probably why the trout are doing so well in there?) Anyway, would like some opinions on fishing after a rain fall. BTW heavy thunder and lightning right now also

·
Super Rod 2413
1,347 Posts
I don't fly fish much and i don't fish in a river. But down here in South Florida. I do a lot of bass fishing and I make a killing before, during and after rain fall in the flats with a top water lure in the lilly pads.

·
Administrator
136,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't fly fish much and i don't fish in a river. But down here in South Florida. I do a lot of bass fishing and I make a killing before, during and after rain fall in the flats with a top water lure in the lilly pads.
I used a black jitterbug most the day today for small and large. Well until a pike grabbed that damn thing and spooled and snapped the line and took my jitterbug!! Damn stupid pike!! :smt093

I will go tomorrow reguardless of input on this. I just wanted to get input as I suck at fly fishing and am still learning. Just need to know if its more me or the weather keeping them away tomorrow...

·
www.PelechBrosRacing.com
4,000 Posts
Some input. I have heard good and bad about fishing after a rain fall. Some say its the best time and others say its the worst. Im heading out tomorrow AM to Paint Creek to do some trout fishing. The local fly shop said it been very good there for trout the past week. Right now it's ready to rain. This river is fed from a lake around 10 miles up stream. The water never gets above 70*'s from what Im reading (and probably why the trout are doing so well in there?) Anyway, would like some opinions on fishing after a rain fall. BTW heavy thunder and lightning right now also

I've never had any luck fishing the Muskegon after a rain. The water is usually dirty, the level is up, the current is up, and the temp is up. I'm not saying it doesn't work, it just doesn't work for me. If I've got an itch to go fish the Muskegon and it's recently rained, I check the flow reports from the USGS before I go. If the reports shows the river is up at all, I don't even bother to go.

Good luck anyhow! Let us know how you do...

·
Un-Official YB Tormentor
5,087 Posts
In the East, I have had great luck DURING and after rain storms. Deluges, and washouts are tough, but manageable.

The heavier the rain/ muddier the water, the more I go subsurface and use Black Nose Dace, or Wooley Buggers. Any fly you can sweep under an undercut bank. Sinking tip line with 9' leader, 4x tippet. Use some of the "Sink" product that comes in bottles, that you rub into the chenille.
Depending on the hatch, I have even had good luck with spent wing spinners on top, along with "haystacks". Blonde Coastal deer hair caddis fly imitation. Wicked easy to tie. Cauchi-Nastasi (wrong spelling) did a book on Compa-duns. They produce more than royal coachmans ever thought of.

Want the ride of your life? Grasshoppers on a 16 hook, through the belly band of the grasshopper. Roll cast it, or let the current take itwhere it wants to go. BAMMM!!! Especially near undercuts where the hogs hang out.

I always carry a small spinning reel in my vest, that will fit my flyrod. 3# test. A pack of 16's and whatever I find near the banks. Grass hoppers, moths, red angler worms under rocks. You name it.

Monty-
Believe it or not, you have to sneak up on a stream, and keep a wicked low profile. Worse than Deer or Turkey. Fish CAN see and hear you. (Seriously!) Banging around on the rocks will put good fish down for 20 minutes. Yes,there are some fish that will still hit. Like liberals, not too bright and need to end up frying. :yawinkle: So will buggy whipping a section of water. Think 85 year old man, when fishing. Slow and careful.

Anytime I fish in a new area, I dont even take a pole. I walk the water, and make mental notes of the holes, undercuts, rock structure, and entry spots to fish each one. I'll go back 2-3 hours later and fish them hard.
(Thats provided no one else is fishing it, of course)

We have one area, north of me by 1-1/2 hours. From July 4th to about the 18th. You have to be IN the water, casting by daybreak. The water is exploding. The rises look like a rain storm. They only will take a "Rusty (Spent Wing) Spinner". It lasts about an hour to an hour and a half. EASILY catch/release 80-100 fish. (our limit is 10 fish to keep) 2-3 casts max. (bend down the barbs, you wont lose them.)
After the hatch, the river is DEAD. NOTHING. ZERO, ZIP ,NADA. You couldnt BUY a fish. Not even with a worm. This place is great to take a newby or a kid. They sleep half way up there, and your done by 7am. Go get breakfast and fuck off all day.

Have fun, and dont be afraid to expirement.

DOH!!! Watch for locals, fucking in or near the stream! Must have ran across 10 couples so far. "Need any help Buddy?" Or "OOOf, sorry !!" for the ugly ones..

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Not sure how much this applies to trout in a stream, but we typically have little to no luck when the barometer is changing (especially falling). Also we rarely go out when there is either a north or east wind (typically means low/falling baro). We have gotten fish before/during/after rains though, but they almost always are not associated with a weather front.

·
The Enemy
22,068 Posts
Are you talking about hank's?

Where on the creek are you fishing?

·
Administrator
136,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you talking about hank's?

Where on the creek are you fishing?

Yeah I deal with them on all my fly fishing gear and anything else they have in stock. I pick them over the bass pro shop as their prices are close but the service at Hanks is untouched.

I didn't make it out to the creek yet. Maybe sometime this week hopefully

·
The Enemy
22,068 Posts
Yeah I deal with them on all my fly fishing gear and anything else they have in stock. I pick them over the bass pro shop as their prices are close but the service at Hanks is untouched.

I didn't make it out to the creek yet. Maybe sometime this week hopefully
Yea, i know what you mean about BPS. Even their guys in the regular fishing department suck. You ask them some basic questions and they pay you no attention. Id much rather just go to Dick's Sporting goods and buy fishing tackle. The local joint in downtown LO isnt bad either.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Monty where are you fishing Paint Creek at? Rochester?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I go to the little place in down town LO for my ice fishing minnows but theres not much of a selection for summer fishing. I sure am glad he's still in business because it sure is a convenient spot to get my minnows for the secluded inland lakes I ice fish.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a map of the creek here. I was going to just head down Clarkston road till I got to Adams. I think that's Rochester?
It is. You must be going west on Clarkston rd off of Adams. In the s curves there is a bridge that crosses and parking. Ive seen people trout fishing in the Rochester Park in down town Rochester. They were catching them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hopefully I get a chance to get out there...
I have never fished P.C. The only trout fishing Ive done is when the rainbows go out to the lake and become eating machines and when they come back up the river in the spring Im waiting.
I mostly fish for bass and pike in the summer. Ill have to post some pics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts