Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my junk ready to go test Thursday. Went from footbraking a turbo to a powerglide with a brake. I have played with it on road with a 3000 chip and I can tell a huge difference in it leaving. Then I shift to 2nd and it kinda just levels out. Guess that's cause I have only 2 gears now.. I run 14.5-15psi in hoosier 28/10 slicks now. 1.47-1.48 .60ft, what will a brake do for me as far as .60ft and should I try going up in psi or not for the first run.. Really hoping the glide doesn't slow me more then a tenth or so since my car is heavy 3500 pounds. I only footbraked at around 2200-2400. Converter flashed at 5300-5500. Any tips for the brake, I have 3000-4800 chips to try.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Try to make only one change at a time. Start with the 3000 chip, if it leaves good then increase a little at a time. If you make any kind of torque at all you shouldn't slow down with a glide. The hp savings over a turbo transmission will off set the low gear ratio difference. For ultimate ET you may need a different rear gear ratio, if you bracket race all you need is a little shoe polish. Good Luck and be sure and post results.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Are you using same converter? My car lost in 60 but ran as fast or slightly faster in 1/4. Does make for boring ride but is more consistant and easier to stage. Be sure to increase idle speed before engaging brake to minimize rock/roll.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Is it a stock pan or an aftermarket deep pan? The true test is to place the car on level ground, run the car for a minute or so and remove the transbrake solenoid. Fill the transmission until fluid is level with the bottom of the solenoid threads or let it drain out if it is over filled. Similar to a differential fill. replace the solenoid and check the fluid level, mark this level on the stick. Remember fluid will drain back from the converter as it sits so you must run it shortly before this method. Using a quality rubber pan gasket such as FelPro will prevent the messy during the week leaks on cars that sit a while between races.

·
Registered
407 Posts
With a small converter 7 or so quarts is about right. If you have a cooler or a large accumulator like the B&M you will use more. The solenoid drain trick is the way to go then mark the stick.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
testing it out tomarow at kilkare. Hope all goes well
First time I started using the t-brake I kept my foot on the brake and forgot to deck the throttle while on the t-brake. Its a bit different LOL.

I tend to load up on the footbrake a little as I'm bumping into the beams, then press the button, let off the footbrake, then deck the throttle to WOT and wait for the yellows. If you're running a sportsman obviously wait for the third yellow to get nice and bright, if on a pro tree, let go as soon as you see a flicker of the top bulb LOL.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
That sucks, hopefully the truck issue is something minor. I'm going to try to go to kilKare in two weeks, maybe see you there.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
don't think so man, sounds bad. May be done until next yr.. Been a rough one this yr. May go tomarrow night and watch though
That blows man but look on the bright side last time we were there it was $1.00 beer night at kilkare thats SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Sorry to hear that

·
Registered
871 Posts
Good luck!
Let us know how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts