Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some TIG welding practice in today. With the help of a friend my welds changed from BLOBS of bird shit, to bird shit that may hold 2 pieces of metal together... Opinions and pointers please! Please go easy on me. It was the FIRST time i picked up a TIG torch.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Excellent for first time! Practice, practice and then practice more. Build projects for Your shop and keep listening to Your friend.

Carl

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
I would agree,,,, now lay on your back turn your head to the right and look out of the left top corner of the lens while working the pedal with your knee. LOL

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Not too bad.....looks better then my first time at tig.

·
Registered
10,371 Posts
i've been thinking of getting started as well , witch weld to you get to start with

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
looks pretty good for a first time. as carl said practice, practice practice then after that practice more but this time standing on your head, back, side, with your feet hanging out the trunk of a car and well you get the idea....lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks Guys! I am still learning how to control the heat and read the puddle. I guess sometimes I dont use enough heat and blow a hole in the piece.
I am having a hardtime just sitting at the table let alone laying on my back and controling the arc with my knee... LOL

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
next time,lay threw the windshield,weld up under the dash while holding on to the cherry picker with your heels,after you just had all you can eat fish dinner and a Coke. Damm that was a hard one to do.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Thanks Guys! I am still learning how to control the heat and read the puddle. I guess sometimes I dont use enough heat and blow a hole in the piece.
I am having a hardtime just sitting at the table let alone laying on my back and controling the arc with my knee... LOL
not bad by the way for the first time. When I show somone how to practice,i always use to pieces and join them at 90*,i find it easier to explain how to watch your puddle,thats just an idea bud,like others have said practice as much as you can.GOOD LUCK> :smt079

·
Registered
920 Posts
lol. aluminum was easier for me to learn on. the way it gets glossy as it melts was easier for me to read. yeah, upside down with your head wedged against the package tray, wishing you had a smaller helmet is the only way to do it! I've got a thumbwheel on the torch but never use it. wish I had a slide control instead. I get calf cramps all the time laying on my back trying to get to the pedal:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
looks good for your first time. me personally ive been bent in ways that would make gumby scream. it all comes with time. and probally the best piece of advice i can give is................. learn how to weld with your other hand cause i can gaurentee you there will come a time when the right hand cant get the job done and the only option is the left hand

·
Registered
210 Posts
im still practicing too, one thing i practice is doing welds like in the cage threads. welding tube down on the mount plate, joints, and LEFT hand. And to CLEAN everything good first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts