Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally hooked up the zex kit it got.gonna try it out tomorrow. only gonna put 100hp to it. my question is whats gonna be the safe tuneup. this is on a 383sbc 14:1. i did put a seprate fuel system up front with 1 gal cell holly blue pump -6 line,run the car at 40* timing

zex instructions say to run 46n 43f jets for 100hp, run 6psi fuel pressure(im gonna run 112 on motor,112 on nitrous)and take out 4 degrees timing,run standard plugs(which i run 8's) 950psi pressure

had a nitrous guy down at local chassis shop yesterday tell me
run same jets,7 psi fuel pressure(get 114 nitrous fuel)take out 6-8 degrees timing,run 10 plugs and 1000psi

im thinkin zex setup-but its hard to say no to this guy cuz i know he has done alot with nitrous and what he runs, this is my first time sprayin a car, sprayed my fourwheelers and snowmobiles so i somewhat know what is goin on and i think the 2nd setup is a lil overkill safe for only 100hp. just getting some 2nd opinions on what you guys think thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
I went with those jets for my 100 shot and it ran pretty good. I also ran just pump 93 and 10:1 but plugs looked decent if anything I could have leaned it out. Dont know how relevent that info is for you but the spread in the instructions seem to be pretty close for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Stay with the ZEX instructions. You will still be FAT. Might even start with 5.5 fuel pressure.

I would use a -9 spark plug, start with 32 degrees total, 112 fuel, 950 psi bottle pressure.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
What cylinder head? 40 degrees is a lot of base, pulling out 4 probably might be a little borderline. Really don't see a need for a -10 plug either. -9 should be sufficcient, I would think.

And agree with others, 6 lbs will likely still be fat. Maybe Monte or Steve will chime in as I'm sure they both have had experience with these plates.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dart pro 1 heads. thanks for the input guys, i was thinkin the zex tune should be fat, i cant see them sendin out a product and bein border line, i will do the -9 plugs,leave fuel at 6psi and i will start out with some more timing out of it

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Think you'd do well as a starting point there, if it's too much timing out you can always sneak up and add some back. Much easier to clean the tune, then find the timing it likes, than fix something if you were to hurt it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10-4 on that, id much rather go out tomorrow and set a pb and come home smilin rather than comin home with milk crates filled with parts, i think when the ohter guy told me 7psi for fuel i think he meant before flowing,i was just outside messin with it and i pulled the line off to the plate with the jet in it and to get 6psi flowing i did have to set it at 7psi,is this what you guys usually have to do???? how much you think i could expect to knock off with 100, i did leave n/a gear in which is 4.56- i go through traps at 7-7200, nitrous guy at shop siad rpms shouldnt go up that much with small shot, he also said i should knock a second off??? think its possible??? i was gonna be happy with .50,i guess will sure find out tomorrow thanks for the replies guys i will let you know how it goes

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
10-4 on that, id much rather go out tomorrow and set a pb and come home smilin rather than comin home with milk crates filled with parts, i think when the ohter guy told me 7psi for fuel i think he meant before flowing,i was just outside messin with it and i pulled the line off to the plate with the jet in it and to get 6psi flowing i did have to set it at 7psi,is this what you guys usually have to do???? how much you think i could expect to knock off with 100, i did leave n/a gear in which is 4.56- i go through traps at 7-7200, nitrous guy at shop siad rpms shouldnt go up that much with small shot, he also said i should knock a second off??? think its possible??? i was gonna be happy with .50,i guess will sure find out tomorrow thanks for the replies guys i will let you know how it goes

Mine is flowed through a .073 nitrous jet, I keep mine at 5.5 lbs flowing. But it's a fogger and not a plate. Some guys use the .073 for a plate, and some like to use the fuel jet they are using in the plate. I think somewhere Steve did a comparison and there was very little difference even between a jets with a huge gap.

How much you pick up and how many more r's it's gonna turn greatly depend on the converter. It may just leave the shift light on the whole pass, or it may pick up a good bit. You'll never know till you spray it.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
How did you do? I've got a Zex kit too I haven't tried yet.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i made a couple hosrepower passes and then i havent got a bottle heater yet so i was tryin to warm the bottle up with heater in my truck,took like 45 min, bolted the bottle in the car got in the car started it up, STARTED RAININ, man was i pissed,so the weather is suppose to be somewhat nice this week,gonna try it out this weekend again

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
How did you do on motor? Big block or small? Cammed for nitrous or no? Gears? Trans? Street driven any? Thanks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
went 10.53 into big head, wind-gusts were supposed to be 40-50 mph that day,sbc 383,hp cam,4.56 gear,400 trans,100% street legal but dont drive it due to race gas,gonna switch to e85 over winter-gonna go out saturday,supposed to be 60 n sunny so hopefully ill get my nitrous pass

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi let us know how it goes lot guys ova here in new zealand running zex plates with mixed results, i have 2 off these kits we run one in road car other in me race car,have found zex jet maps look werid on paper but plugs and afr come out looking ok for stock tune
victtor jnr racing
new zealand

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i went back out to try it again today.guess what,now the damn head gasket started leaking.made a hp pass went to make another one cuz the track wasnt hookin that good and they backed me off the track,was leakin a decent amount of water to the outside,so i didnt get to try it today either,prolly gonna be it for the season,maybe ill get to try it in the spring

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
went 10.53 into big head, wind-gusts were supposed to be 40-50 mph that day,sbc 383,hp cam,4.56 gear,400 trans,100% street legal but dont drive it due to race gas,gonna switch to e85 over winter-gonna go out saturday,supposed to be 60 n sunny so hopefully ill get my nitrous pass
Nice running 383 in that fairly heavy streetcar, sorry to hear about the head gasket though:(
It will be interesting to see what difference the E-85 makes, and it's a lot cheaper than racegas! Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts