Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my first time use mls on 400 with steamholes was told to put copper silicone around water ports and let dry 15 min and then spray with copper sray let sit 5 min till taky and install.torque, loosen and re torque 3 times does this sound right ?? :confused::confused::confused:thanx

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
We have been running Fel Pro MLS gaskets in a heavy nitrous 409" SBC since 2008. They always go on dry and are never retorqued. Dart Little M block and Pro 1 heads.

Also, don't touch the gasket surface.

·
T/S 368E
33,407 Posts

This motor is my 1st Cometics also, and they went on dry & no re-torque.
My builder did say some reuse, re-torque them, but he does not reuse or re-torque them.
Spraying 300 HP, and have 10-12 pass's so far.

·
Registered
756 Posts
use nothing and no retq. u can double check them but dont need retq. went 8.80s on one set for 3yrs. built a dart block and use them on that now.

·
6,816 Posts
use them dry and no retorque never had a problem still spraying them

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
My results may not be typical........but...........the Cometics on Henderson's 632, have about 250 runs on them, most with 3 kits. OK, 250 runs is NOT that many, until you factor in that this motor gets rings about every 40 passes and rods every 75-80. Meaning the headgaskets have been reused many times, not to mention, the engine gets the shit sprayed out of it. I do NOTHING, when I reuse them and I mean nothing. No cleaner, no copper coat, so silicone. I just wipe them off with a rag and put them back on.

Monte

·
Registered
489 Posts
I used cometics on my little Windsor, went on dry. Had my doubts but no leaks. Surface finish from your machine shop is what makes these work.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Dumb question, if most that reuse theirs are just cleaning them up a little or not at all and slapping them right back on.

Why is it so important (according to MLS mfg's) not to touch the gasket when it's new?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
installed the motor with the mls gaskets today and they leak like a water fauset thrue the treads on the studs....... yes the heads and block wer machined for them.... now what?????? thanx

·
Billy438Stroker
5,634 Posts
Your head bolts must go through the heads to the water...Everyone i know that has this problem' put some type sealant around the threads and also still spray the gaskets with copper coat...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
installed the motor with the mls gaskets today and they leak like a water fauset thrue the treads on the studs....... yes the heads and block wer machined for them.... now what?????? thanx
ARP thread sealer on the studs ??

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Martin are you sure the leak isnt coming thru the stud threads ? if thats the case then it has nothing to do with the gasket. BTW the process you first posted sounded like it was for copper gaskets ,not sure who told you that. I have reused MLS many times.
You do have MLS and not copper gaskets correct ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts