Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend was my first official race as a Top Sportsman racer. Tucson divisional. I got my TS license at the test and tune Thursday and ran Q1 on Friday.

I had a lot of fun racing with a totally different group. Most were very accepting with many people introducing themselves to us and vice versa. Racing top alcohol was pretty intense with most of us quietly guarding our speed secrets and settings, me included. Most of the time you'd feel like you are invading their personal space if you decided to go visit fellow racers in their pit. I'm guilty of that as well. But the TS and TD guys and gals welcomed me into their pits and that was very refreshing.

When I turned in my paperwork Thursday night to get my license I was told there are those who work hard and race top sportsman or top dragster to accomplish some sort of milestone, like their first run in the 6's or first run over 200 miles per hour. When I was asked what my milestone goals in Top Sportsman were, I asked: "What is the NHRA National Record for Top Sportsman?" I know your answer. And my response is "Exactly."

My number one goal was and is to have fun at the races again after several years off. Sure, it's fun to go rounds and win races. That's the obvious answer to having fun. But even red lighting first round like I did didn't blow any candles out on my cake. I can't wait for the next one.

It's motivated me to get on a diet and lose some weight. It's helped distract me from the loss of my beautiful wife to cancer a few months ago. And I'm back out having fun with a couple of the guys who were on my top alcohol team and they loved it as well. The pace is significantly more manageable than what we were used to which leaves more time for enjoyment. I've about convinced a former IHRA Top Alcohol Funny Car Champion pal to try this as well. :)

Thanks, guys.

·
T/S 368E
30,473 Posts

Good for you Randy, have fun & race safe!!!!!!!!!!!

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
17,325 Posts
That is absolutely awesome Randy!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Randy nice ride. Sorry to hear of the passing of your wife as I too lost my beautiful wife to cancer a few months ago and am struggling to get ready for 2019.
I met Sonny in '03 at the track and fell in love with his NA Hemi program. I first bought and ran a Nick Mitsos 707 in TS going a best of 6.53 with the Bruno/Lenco. I then bought the NA 715 EFI that Sonny developed for Todd after they ran a 6.47 @ 216 mph at Atco NJ in 2010. I run comp so the A/AP rules are weight to cubic inch and don't get the 100lb weight break so my RJ Cavalier is 2440 lbs. with the added ballast and have gone 6.57. I have held the national record in the past but NHRA TS doesn't have a national record as so many combinations in the class. Make sure you pit next to Joe Roubicek as he is a master at tuning with the BS3 EFI and keeps wonderful records in his trailer.
Terry

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hi Randy,
My name is Bryan Metz. I tune Joe Roubiceks car, I helped Terry Spargo get started(sorry for your loss Terry),I also tune for Bryan LaFlam (the number 1 qualifier at the Tucson race) with a procharged Brad Hemi,Phil Dion, Barry Daniluk, Lynsey (from innout),and several others. I take care of a lot of Sonnys customers. If you need any help from engine, EFI tuning, to chassis, I go to most of the div 6 and 7 races. I did look your car over in staging lanes, very nice! Please feel free to contact me. If anyone else reading this needs my services, please contact me.
Bryan 414-839-1898

·
Registered
10 Posts
Randy, Welcome to one of the best classes out there. Took a quick look at the car and it is awesome.
We will have to make it a point to say Hello in Vegas.

I am an EFI guy too but run Fast. Brian will get you in the right direction at the track.

Glad you had a good time and I also went WAY red first round. Cannot figure where it came from.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks everyone. Terry, my condolences. We belong to a club no one wants to be a part of. My grief is unbearable, as I imagine yours is. Kathy was not only my best friend she was my soulmate. I'm still wearing my wedding ring. And the race car is only a distraction from the pain, not a cure for it.

My car with me in it weighs 2,265 on Phil Mandella's scales and I'm no lightweight. NHRA top sportsman N/A has a minimum weight requirement of 2,200 pounds and now I'm on a diet to shed about 50 pounds from my XXXL body and that might put me pretty close if the Sonny's hemi doesn't outweigh my current powerplant much. And to add a procharger or boosted engine to it means adding a ton of weight to hit the 2,600 pound minimum required after spending a ton of money for a lightweight car.

Joe Roubicek laid it out for me and was very convincing. In fact, I saw Joe at Tucson and told him every time I see him he costs me a lot of money. LOL But it's money well spent I believe.

I want reliability above all else. Of course I want a fast car and I wonder if 777 cubic inches is big enough, but Todd at Sonny's assured me that I would be happy with the balance of power and reliability. I don't want such a huge stroke in the thing that I'm feeding it rods every 25 runs. Todd claims 90+ runs on the rods of their 777 with 5.375 stroke shifted at a reasonable rpm. I'm thinking of flying from California to Sonny's to watch the dyno pulls on it if they won't throw me out.

Brian, here's a picture of Lynsi and I taken at the IN N OUT burger event at Pomona. Opposite ends of the economic scale all in one photo. :eek:

·
20,171 Posts
Hi Randy,
My name is Bryan Metz. I tune Joe Roubiceks car, I helped Terry Spargo get started(sorry for your loss Terry),I also tune for Bryan LaFlam (the number 1 qualifier at the Tucson race) with a procharged Brad Hemi,Phil Dion, Barry Daniluk, Lynsey (from innout),and several others. I take care of a lot of Sonnys customers. If you need any help from engine, EFI tuning, to chassis, I go to most of the div 6 and 7 races. I did look your car over in staging lanes, very nice! Please feel free to contact me. If anyone else reading this needs my services, please contact me.
Bryan 414-839-1898
Randy you can't go wrong with Bryan. Stand up guy.

Glad you your having fun. And things ain't so loud this go round lol

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hi Randy, god bless you as my wife was also my best friend and soulmate. Maybe we'll meet this summer at the Seattle Nationals if you can make it.
Terry

·
Registered
372 Posts
I gotta mention a couple of my Top alcohol friends as Ron Cowie, Shawns dad, we enjoy relazing between rounds with each other at the track as he watches me and I watch Sawn qualify, and Randy Parker who has come to my aid repairing wheelie bars and O2 sensors in the Stainless headers is a special person. Beautiful people.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I gotta mention a couple of my Top alcohol friends as Ron Cowie, Shawns dad, we enjoy relazing between rounds with each other at the track as he watches me and I watch Sawn qualify, and Randy Parker who has come to my aid repairing wheelie bars and O2 sensors in the Stainless headers is a special person. Beautiful people.
When we won the Fall 2009 Las Vegas Nationals in Top Alcohol Funny Car Shawn Cowie won Top Alcohol Dragster and that was the first time I met him. That was a couple years before his motorcycle crash. Seemed like a pretty good guy to me who loves to race.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Congrats on making your first event in TS. I too have been gone for a few years from racing due to other commitments. But I plan to be at the Vegas Divisional to bust my TS Div cherry :) Best of luck this year to you and sorry for the loss of your wife, I cannot imagine what that's like

·
Registered
590 Posts
Randy nice ride. Sorry to hear of the passing of your wife as I too lost my beautiful wife to cancer a few months ago and am struggling to get ready for 2019.
Terry
Wow Terry... I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear that... She was a class act and a wonderful person.

Hope to see you soon my friend. Its been way to long.

When we won the Fall 2009 Las Vegas Nationals in Top Alcohol Funny Car Shawn Cowie won Top Alcohol Dragster and that was the first time I met him. That was a couple years before his motorcycle crash. Seemed like a pretty good guy to me who loves to race.
Shawn and his Dad are great people... Back in the early 2000s when we were both running Top Comp I had him in the second or 3rd round...We are in the staging lanes and both of us are in our cars strapped in as there was only like 2 pairs left before we ran.. My wife notices that I forgot to Dzus the hood on and starts to panic... Shawns dad and one of his crew guys came right over and using coins actually Dzus'd it on so we could run each other.... Now THAT's a class act....... (I ALMOST felt bad about putting my buddy's ass on the trailer that round..... ALMOST lol)

Frank

PS... Did you get headers with your roller to fit the 777? I'm having a set of fender exits made for mine and would part with the ones I got cheap if you need them Randy

Frank

·
Registered
590 Posts
By the Way Randy... Don't worry about the diet... If the motor you have now has an aluminum block then the new Hemi will add about 60 to 70 lbs

My Nova went from 2328 with the 632 all aluminum to 2405 with the 727 Sonny's Hemi Pump Gas motor. Both without fuel, fire suit or helmet with my fat ass.

That's a Brodix block so your CN Billet block, Like the one going in my Camaro will be about 20 lbs lighter

·
Shrewd Negotiator
10,041 Posts
Congrats, Randy. Been looking forward to this since you purchased the car. Glad to hear you're having fun with it. That's what its ALL about, IMO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts