Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Get the 30-30. A marlin 336. Specifically one that is pre-safety. It's a classic gun he will appreciate later on. When he has a whole safe of bolt action rifles, he will look at that lever gun and think about ya.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My Grandson and I went up to south Georgia during the Christmas break which was during the rut in that area. I had taken him a few times this year and in October he shot under a doe with my 30-06 at about 80 yards. This time we sat in a ground blind on the edge of a fallow field and he had a single shot 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck. We saw 8 deer that morning, mostly out of range. Finally a doe ran across the field on a trot looking over her shoulder and I told him to get ready. About 5 minutes later a 125 pound button buck came out of the tree line and started across the field. I grunted and he stopped and looked right at us. My Grandson put the bead on his shoulder and dropped him right in his tracks! The look on his face was priceless and I think I have a hunting buddy for life! Because of football practice he did not get to shoot very much this year and the shotgun was the perfect choice.

·
Registered
22,167 Posts
Heck, an old 300 H&H in a 1917 Enfield will do anything in North America fine! Just put onna those red rubber stock deals on it to take some of the kick out of it.

That was my Dad's custom sporterized rifle back when I was a kid, mid '50's or so(?), and he used to let me, "touch it off", -- He, He!! A really big BANG!!!

pdq67

·
Registered
606 Posts
I started both my sons out with Marlin Model 1894 Lever-Action Rifle .44 Magnum
the guns been used as a first loaner gun for three generations now ,in my family,
once the kids learned to hand-load and shoot, regularly and
once they decide to become serious,and push to go to the range and hunting,
they will start asking you too try different rifles,
and once that happens they will generally find something they like and want to buy.
obviously you can guide them and maybe pay for most of the rifle of their choice,
but I found kids don,t put any value in anything you just hand them for free.
both my sons owned a 30/06 savage bolt gun at one time, now one owns a 340 wby like I generally use,
and a ruger 22lr and a pump 12 ga winchester,
the other stuck with the savage 30/06 but bought a M1A 308 and purchased a BLR in 358 WIN also

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
.243 is a nice round for young ones. And, you can't go wrong with a 30-30. My first deer rifle was a Win model 94 - still have it and wouldn't trade it for any other rifle.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Get the 30-30. A marlin 336. Specifically one that is pre-safety. It's a classic gun he will appreciate later on. When he has a whole safe of bolt action rifles, he will look at that lever gun and think about ya.

I still have the one my Dad gave me 45 years ago. Brings back a lot of great memories.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts