Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jay,

Cam selection question for you. The engine is a 406" (3.75x4.155) chevy with straight out of the container GM Performance Parts Aluminum 210cc Vortec heads. 1.6 ratio rockers, It has 8.7:1 compression, Edelbrock Vortec (2913, I think thats the part number) single plane intake, Blow-thru 750 holley, 62mm turbo, no intercooler.

This is in a S-10 truck (basically stock), with a turbo 400 trans.

This is a "play" truck and not a race vehicle.

Do you have a recommendation for this?

Thanks
Tom Cowle

PS: Welcome to the board officially

·
Registered
726 Posts
Anonymous said:
Jay,

Cam selection question for you. The engine is a 406" (3.75x4.155) chevy with straight out of the container GM Performance Parts Aluminum 210cc Vortec heads. 1.6 ratio rockers, It has 8.7:1 compression, Edelbrock Vortec (2913, I think thats the part number) single plane intake, Blow-thru 750 holley, 62mm turbo, no intercooler.

This is in a S-10 truck (basically stock), with a turbo 400 trans.

This is a "play" truck and not a race vehicle.

Do you have a recommendation for this?

Thanks
Tom Cowle

PS: Welcome to the board officially
Well Tom, until I read that part about the *Blow-through* and turbo I was thinking that Comp had about 7 different shelf cams that would be ok. But then.......

A custom engine kinda takes a custom cam.

Do you have an RPM range in mind?
Do you already have a spring package to work around?
Do you have RR? Ratio(s)?

Let's have those and we'll see.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
The turbo is a quick spooler so I'm guessing it will top out at about 56-5800 rpms based on reading the compressor map and doing some calculations.

No springs are set yet I think to get the horse before for the cart in selecting the cam first.

1.6 ratio roller rockers

Thanks
Tom Cowle

·
Registered
726 Posts
It is extremely hard for me to give out cam specs. I normally spend 2 to 3 HOURS on each camshaft. If I do that here at Yellow Bullet it'll be JUST a full time job handling this! But as far as a range goes using my *Quick Calculator*.......

230-235 at .050 on the intake. I would utilize about 5* more on the exhaust at .050. The lobe lift(s) need to be similar. About .375" of lobe lift maybe a tad MORE on the intake. The intake should be pretty aggressive at .200. Around a 114 LSA with an IC around 111-112. I'd use a tight lash street roller. Something that has about .010" lash HOT.

Now remember Tom. I spent about 15 minutes on this. This is basically by seat of the pant. I could be more exact!!!

If you are looking for ballpark numbers, there you go. If you are looking to be more precise, then please PM me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Why would you use a roller cam for this application? I figured a flat tappet solid cam would provide the type of valve action that would make this shine. Can you give me a little insite to your roller selection?

BTW: Your right where I thought I'd be less the roller part of the selection.

Thanks
Tom Cowle

·
Registered
726 Posts
Tom I do not know of any SFT cams that are 230-235 at .050 and that have .375 of lobe lift. I am looking for a certain *area*. There isn't a SFT IMHO that is going to do the job with the amount of overlap I was/am trying to achieve. By all means, if you would like this to go further and more exact, go to my site and complete a Build Sheet.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts