Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to order my fire suit. The NHRA rules book calls out a 15 suit but I'm wondering should I go ahead an upgrade to a 20 while I'm having it made?

Thanks, Alan

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
ehh....get a fire system and stick w/ the 15. Unles you really think you will need the 20 for future class upgrades.

BTW...Buick in the avitar???? Who built it, if so?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1986 Buick Somerset. Originally built by Smith Racecraft in Dallas Texas April 1986. It was a pro comp car back in the day. I have the fire system. Currently at the chassis shop being upgraded to 25.1E spec. We are putting a n/a 525 BBB in it for now.

Alan

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
1986 Buick Somerset. Originally built by Smith Racecraft in Dallas Texas April 1986. It was a pro comp car back in the day. I have the fire system. Currently at the chassis shop being upgraded to 25.1E spec. We are putting a n/a 525 BBB in it for now.

Alan
Old Hickey Bros car???

Had one myself...ran s/g, ss/ax and G/G

·
Drunk and Disorderly
2,251 Posts
Go for the 20, and I alsohave a fire system, I am going 20 just incase the rules change. 15 or 20, you are still walking around in an oven mitt

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know if it was a Hickey Brothers car or not. Previous owner had contacted Smith Racecraft and gave them the serial number but they told him they didn't keep real good records back then and couldn't give him any info on the car. I'd like to know more about the car myself.

Alan

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
26,460 Posts
Get a 20. Some day you will decide to switch to boost and then you will need it. :p

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
Is it a steel roof and quarters?

It might be Jules and Vern Hickeys old car...I would have to do some diging. Not making any promises, but I might have some info. If I recall it was originally a 4-link car w/ A-arm front end. No f/c cage...and it was an automatic car.

I ask because Buick gave us an entire car to make the first all fiberglass body. This was about a year before VFN made their mold.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is a steel roof and 1/4 panel car. It still has glass in the rear 1/4 windows. The Smith Racecraft serial # is SOM-86002.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
It is a steel roof and 1/4 panel car. It still has glass in the rear 1/4 windows. The Smith Racecraft serial # is SOM-86002.

I will see if I can find some old photos of the car...Gotta do some digging though. Those pics weren't scanned. LOL!!!

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,332 Posts
DO THE 20 !!!

I have been burned and it HURTS, A LOT!!!

What you are getting with the 20 over the 15,

is MORE TIME NOT BEING BURNT!!!

Your (kinda crispy in spots) Pal, Gary

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will see if I can find some old photos of the car...Gotta do some digging though. Those pics weren't scanned. LOL!!!
Did you ever get a chance to dig out those pictures?

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
I went with a 20, for one reason Fire is bad!
When I saw the video of my car on fire when I was unconscious in it I was very happy with my choice!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went with a 20, for one reason Fire is bad!
When I saw the video of my car on fire when I was unconscious in it I was very happy with my choice!
I did the 20 also.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts

Here i found a picture, I was out cold when this happened.
20!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts