Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be installing a 10lb fire bottle system in my t/s car and have some questions.i would like to use stainless 1/4 line.where is the best source for this type of line, maybe mc master carr? the race car chassis shops seem very pricey.if i buy a roll of this what is the best method to get the lines straight?i thought about 1/4 coated brake line and was wondering if the coating would flake or crackwhen flaring as i would be using #4 an fittings.
i would prefer to use the stainless line and would like to save a few bucks if possible .any info would be helpful. THANKS

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Hydraulic shops also carry it but not sure how the priced compares.
When you uncoil it, just hold hold the roll of line and peel it off so it bends into a straight piece. Pretty easy. Invest in a decent bender too.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I have found that the rolls of line like crappy and you can not get them very straight I used a roll for my brake line but need to also do my fire system and want straight lenghts also

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Try to search for straight lengths...they probably sell them in 3-6 foot pieces. As mentioned, buy a nice bender...makes them 100 times easier, and look 100 times better. Watch ebay for a Ridgid bender...they are always for sale on there.

·
Registered
850 Posts
We bought 1/4" aluminum line from McMaster Carr in 6' lengths. It worked very well for us. I'm sure they probably have it in stainless

·
Registered
74 Posts
How much do you need, probably have 100 ft or so. Mike

·
Registered
328 Posts
Like rasin bran said swagelok is a great source. Also check out the Swagelok brand benders they sell. If you ever used one of these things you would throw your rigid bender in the trash! Dont mess with coiled line but if you have to you can put one end in a bench vise and the other end in a drill check and turn it slow while pulling tension. This works great on aluminum line but dont get greedy on stainless because it work hardens.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Shapiro Supply 5617 Natural Bridge Ave St Louis, Mo 314 382 7000 This has to be one of the top retail metal dist. in the US. I would say its a good bet every top chassie builder in the st louis area has shapiro products in them. Sam and his dad ownes this place and is as organized as a Lowes. This place is a must visit if you are in the area. You can walk around and look just like lowes. I just did my brakes 3/16s and fire system 1/4" stainless. All are available in straight lengths up to 24' long. They will and do cut and ship anywhere in the world. The prices are better than any other place I have ever seen. Chrome molly, stainless, Aluminum and a lot of other metals. Flats, tubing, sheets in almost any sizes. Sam is the guy to talk to for great service. Search Shapiro Supply

·
YB Monster Crew
9,107 Posts
A trick for you guys wanting to straighten out coiled lines... Use a vice in your garage... Just clamp it down so it straights out and it will straighten out without crimping the line up... Takes some time but once you master it it's quick and painless...

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
We have straight legths in stock.......we can ship up to 6' lengths on ups

Price per foot is $2.30 for stainless

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hi,thanks for the info.if getting straight lengths what wall thickness is generally used.? i think that i would want to order the straight lengths just to avoid the hassle of straightening the line if i bought it in a coil.THANKS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts