Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been racing and competing on lists for about 5 years now, and after messing around with street cars, I finally stepped up to something a bit more prepped. An online friend of mine, Brian Denman, listed up his 2006 Lancer Evolution drag car up for sale back in November as a roller, and I promptly grabbed it up!

When he had the car, he went 10.21 @ 133 on the stock turbo, which continues to hold the stock turbo record. He then put on an FP Red turbo, which is the stock turbo frame that FP puts a larger wheel in, and he went 9.54 @ 145 mph. For about a year, he held the record for the stock frame turbo. He then threw on a modified 35r turbo, and went 9.0 @ 157 mph, which is simply amazing for these cars.

I have been working with Street Tuned Motorsports to get this car finished up, and here is a few shots from the build, and where it sits now:

As of last night, we put in 4 gallons of E85, primed the pump, and had no leaks. This week, we should get the car on the dyno, tune it, and hopefully hit the track this weekend. Oh, and on the scales, she is doing pretty well!

This is 700 pounds lighter than stock, and it still has the full interior. That includes the passenger seat and bracket, the center console, carpet, the factory wheels and tires. There is an easy 100 pounds left that will come out for race prep, so she should scoot along just nicely.

Last year I was in 4th place for the 2009 stock turbo record list, going 11.010 @ 124.55 mph. I am hoping that I can at least go 10.50 on this setup now, since it will be up about 50 - 75 hp, and weigh in about 300 - 400 pounds lighter.

Last year I cut consistent 1.480 60' on DOT Hoosiers, so I am hoping to get those down to the 1.399 range this year as well.

Glad to be on the site :partyman:

--mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The weight came from a bunch of places. Things like the aluminum driveshaft, all the aluminum mounts, tubular crossmember, tubular diff mount, the custom front end, and then almost 80 pounds going to the single disk rear brakes and smaller vented fronts, both two piece from Wilwood. I had Lexan windows for it, but it saved about 20 pounds, and I sold it for $800, so I could use that money elsewhere. The hood is dry carbon, the seats are very light compared to stock, and then there is no radio, no heater, no sway bars, no power steering, etc...

It hooks great though, street or strip, and it's pretty fun to drive, just have to be extra careful if I take it on the street. The cage was done in Palm Harbor FL, and is certified to 8.50.

I picked up the roller for $15k, and I put another $10 - $12k into it since December. It's about done though, and everything is done right. I fully appreciate American cars, and traditional drag setups, but going 9.0 is fast no matter what :)

--mark

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
not my thing but very nice ride, i shoulda built a turbo :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but I wanted to introduce myself so that I don't look like a noob when I do post. :eek: Plus I quite proud of the car, and where it is come in the past 5 months.

I am getting quite anxious to go melt the tires off on the street though!! :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts