Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have calle dand shot two bobcats so far this 'season' but finally got a coyote this evening

Got my first yote of the season this evening.

I go to a neighbor's place and setup

about a 5 acre clearing that is surrounded by a lot of brush and woods. Overcast, cool/cold and no wind.

As I am walking to the stand, his cows go crazy and start running. I am praying that they did not stirr things up.

I get to the spot and set the caller and the mojo out about 50 yards from me. I head back to the stand and get ready and hit the play button. Not even 10 seconds into the cottontail duet I notice that the mojo is not turning. I hit pause and think "shoot, I wonder if anything has heard it yet, and should I go out and get the mojo turning?" As I am waiting there thinking about what I should do- either let it go, or go over and get the critter going, I hear some leaves crunching. I stop and listen and they are coming from about 60 yards away in some brush. I hear it for about 5 seconds and then it stops. I figure it is a squirrel and think about getting up to fix the mojo. After about 10 seconds I decide to play the caller just a few more seconds just for the heck of it. 2 seconds after hitting play a young female comes trotting out and is making a bee line for the mojo. I can't believe it and I hit pause. She is about 50 yards from me and I take the shot and she drops. All this happened within 45 seconds of me hitting play for the first time.

I figure the coyote was either bedded up less than 50 yards from my stand or was at full throttle as soon as she heard the first cry of the cottontail duet. The coyote was at the brushline within 15-20 seconds of me hitting the play button, but did not come out until I decided to un-pause it.

From me setting the caller out to a dead coyote on the ground- it was less than 2 minutes, and probably real close to 1 minute.

she didn't stand a chance against the 25-06...

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a bobcat and another coyote yesterday.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nice coyote!! I went this morning seen a few tracks but no coyote!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Awsome kills... Post pics of the cat..

I was up thw mountains last week. First set i called in a huge fox, ( not sure if it was a grey or red ) it was just at sunset. I made the fatal mistake and try to sit for a steady shoot. GONE.....
Late that night i called in a grey out back of our house, ran in 10 seconds as i paused, It was very dark and no time for my light, my buddy was nodded out on the couch.. I scoped it and took a shoot, it screamed and ran off, Couldn't find it,. Got up the next day and tracked it for a 1/4 mile @ the least. Just pin drips, not a fatal hit. Pissed me off, i should have waited. Next morning we set up and start calling with thew coyote caller down a mountain, Coyotes howl back, did this for 15-20 minutes, then nothing. They were far and have no idea if they gave up or were just taking thier time getting across the mountains. But that was it. Came home enpty handed. But a fun hunt. Back up very soon..

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nice spotted cat.

I have one from upstate NY from years ago, and it's more a plain color cat, very light spots. I want to get a good heavy spotted one. They just opened our season on Bobcat here in Pa, but it only runs a few short weeks. But it's a start and i have been tracking them. Next year i hope.. Need be i'll set a few traps.. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts