Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a customer with a cleveland that split a wall. Doing a windsor would be the best fix but not in the budget. An aftermarket 351c would be ideal but none avail. YET Clevor and option but still have to change too much to make it cost effective.

So plan c would be to sleeve it and hard block it.

Pros and cons to this in a Cleveland?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Have a fresh machined unassembled Cleveland 4 bolt no sleeves, filled ,4.020 plated honed deck squared.with 3.500 SVO crank ,C&A 6.00 speedway rods 2.100 rod .927 pins Diamond dome pistons.Clev 4v heads with fresh bronzewalls, new manley valves.Bill C 973-742-4972 This is an abandoned job .

·
Clevelands Rule.
1,671 Posts
I filled my clevo with tiling grout, then fitted 8 sleeves about 15 years ago.
I used Embaco 880, it has metal particals in the grout.
No problems yet.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
I have set speed records at Bonneville with cleveland blocks that had three sleeves in them...4.030 to 4.100" boresizes...

if it is done RIGHT...they will be as strong or stronger than original...

......use a thin wall sleeve.....

grout fill if you want.....
then sit for a month to cure..and then final align hone mains and then hone the cylinders..

as with any block, you will have to expect that the virgin bore wall of the cylinder next to the one that gets the sleeve will also distort....so, do not expect to stay at same finish hone dimension....

·
Registered
210 Posts
An aftermarket 351c would be ideal but none avail. YET Clevor and option but still have to change too much to make it cost effective.
Bill's 4.020 block sounds like a real winner to me. especially since it is ready to rock 'n roll.

Failing that, I always prefer used XE iron NASCAR blocks (solid pan rails, thicker bores, thicker casting around freeze plugs, thicker main webbing, sturdier caps, higher nickel content, etc). Much stronger than production 351c and much cheaper than new aftermarket ones, which are not available in iron anyways.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts