Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
More searching has lead me to Rotary lifts. Madison Indiana. Original maker of lifts in USA, I am told. They also own Forward Lift, Direct Lift and Revolution Lifts. All 3 are foreign made. The Forward lift model EFP9 is what was recommended by the Rotary salesman. The specs are identical to the Atlas Garage Pro 9000, which is what I originally thought I wanted until found out it is on national back order. These are both extra tall, extra long and extra wide. Not sure about inventory yet but there is a dealer within 60 miles of me. Stating to question need for extra wide and it may cramp my space for the stall next to it.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
After further searching and remeasuring my available space I believe the Atlas Garage Pro 9000 and all the C channel Asian lifts that are extra wide are too wide. They are 123" wide foot print without the pump/motor and 132" with the pump/motor hand out to the side. Where I want put it I have another door and bay coming in 90 degrees. Only leaves 16' which is not enough.

Avantage 9000#, Wild Fire 9000#, and Back Yard Buddy 9000# using the tube style columns are narrower by 12" and can locate the pump/motor 90 degree from the wide side saving another 12", (114" wide outside of columns.) Can still have 78"-80" ramp width for pick up trucks and tall lift. Advantage says they have inventory, but their shipping is too high. $700+ from South Carolina.

Anyone use Advantage or another tube column that will fit and get better shipping deal?

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Wildfire Lifts had a contact email, so on a whim I filled out some questions Saturday night late just to see how long the response time would be. This morning I received an email from the owner saying he appreciated my inquiry and he will call me Monday to answer anything on my mind. Good first impression.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I guess the search is over. Ready to order the Wildfire lift 9000XLT. Just have to wait until the ground thaws a little bit more, so I can dig up some cash, literally. Any haters for this brand, now's the time. As with a lot of other brands, they are waiting on the boat to dock.

·
TD 3550
2,692 Posts
I guess the search is over. Ready to order the Wildfire lift 9000XLT. Just have to wait until the ground thaws a little bit more, so I can dig up some cash, literally. Any haters for this brand, now's the time. As with a lot of other brands, they are waiting on the boat to dock.

LMAO Dig up some cash. what do you move coffins. "Literally"

Made my day lol

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
90 percent of the 30 brands I contacted were out of 9000# 4 post lifts. No stock until 2020. These were mostly C channel column look alike foreign sourced. The half dozen brands that have manufacturing plants in the US only make the 10000# and larger here. They buy 9000# and smaller to sell under their name. Of the Tube column lifts, Advantage said they had stock but were over $700 shipping to me. I chose Wildfire because they are much closer, so less than half of shipping cost, about the same features and price as Advantage. The Wildfire owner returned emails and calls promptly. So did the Advantage salesman. Also the tube column lifts are narrower width wise but can still gat a 3/4 ton pick up on them. I need the narrower design to not intrude into my next bay.

Lift Tech sold by M1M Equipment said they had inventory.LT9K-XLT.

In 9000# there are standard lifts for cars, Extra Tall and Extra long, and then Extra Tall, Extra long and Extra Wide. Extra tall lets you store a pick up underneath. Extra wide has wide ramp width up to 80" but width is 123" plus the pump out to 132". A WildFire has 114" width with option to mount pump 90 degrees, 76" ramp width. Advantage has 2 width patterns 74" and 78"

I did not look at the 7000# models.

Prices may go up in 2020 again due to Tariff supposedly. Unless you buy now to hold price.

Greg Smith in Indianapolis says they will have the Garage Pro 9000# 4 post lift in late January. They have 8 locations. Atlas brand seems to be their private brand name. 90 percent of the other brands are similar. They are about $500 cheaper than the column tube brands.

I did not investigate any 2 post lifts.

Rotary seems to be a good company. I spoke to one of their engineers They bought out 3 of their foreign competitors and still sell them under their original names. Direct lift, Forward lift and Revolutio lifts.

Bendpacs new brand, Grand Prix, is a tube column style like Back Yard Buddy, Advantage and Wildfire.

Could not find out much about Back Yard Buddy. Seems to be bought out and reorganized but did not find any for sale. They are maybe the original tube column style. Their columns were 4" x 4" versus 5" x 5" of the others.

·
Registered
780 Posts
90 percent of the 30 brands I contacted were out of 9000# 4 post lifts. No stock until 2020. These were mostly C channel column look alike foreign sourced. The half dozen brands that have manufacturing plants in the US only make the 10000# and larger here. They buy 9000# and smaller to sell under their name. Of the Tube column lifts, Advantage said they had stock but were over $700 shipping to me. I chose Wildfire because they are much closer, so less than half of shipping cost, about the same features and price as Advantage. The Wildfire owner returned emails and calls promptly. So did the Advantage salesman. Also the tube column lifts are narrower width wise but can still gat a 3/4 ton pick up on them. I need the narrower design to not intrude into my next bay.

Lift Tech sold by M1M Equipment said they had inventory.LT9K-XLT.

In 9000# there are standard lifts for cars, Extra Tall and Extra long, and then Extra Tall, Extra long and Extra Wide. Extra tall lets you store a pick up underneath. Extra wide has wide ramp width up to 80" but width is 123" plus the pump out to 132". A WildFire has 114" width with option to mount pump 90 degrees, 76" ramp width. Advantage has 2 width patterns 74" and 78"

I did not look at the 7000# models.

Prices may go up in 2020 again due to Tariff supposedly. Unless you buy now to hold price.

Greg Smith in Indianapolis says they will have the Garage Pro 9000# 4 post lift in late January. They have 8 locations. Atlas brand seems to be their private brand name. 90 percent of the other brands are similar. They are about $500 cheaper than the column tube brands.

I did not investigate any 2 post lifts.

Rotary seems to be a good company. I spoke to one of their engineers They bought out 3 of their foreign competitors and still sell them under their original names. Direct lift, Forward lift and Revolutio lifts.

Bendpacs new brand, Grand Prix, is a tube column style like Back Yard Buddy, Advantage and Wildfire.

Could not find out much about Back Yard Buddy. Seems to be bought out and reorganized but did not find any for sale. They are maybe the original tube column style. Their columns were 4" x 4" versus 5" x 5" of the others.
Mark,

Thanks for following up with this. I'm also looking into 4 posts lifts to go in a new garage early next year. It seems that Advantage and Wildfire are basically the same design?

There is a Direct Lift warehouse/dealer locally (Dover Corp./Vehicle Service Group - Parent for Rotary, Forward lifts, etc.) that offers pretty good discounts for picking up at the warehouse in person. Several friends have them and have been pleased.

Leaning that route just do to personal feedback and shipping costs, otherwise I would have to take a serious look at Wildfire as well.

Jason G.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Advantage and Wildfire were once located very close in Minnesota. I think Advantage was first, had financial issues and maybe bought out and moved down south. Wildfire is a family owned business, father and son. They only sell 3 models of lifts. The 2 brands are very similar. Back Yard Buddy may have been the originator of the tube style columns. I did not find any other tube column brands. But now Bend Pac says their Grand Prix tube style will be out shortly. (Odd, as they spent a lot of time running down that design until recently.)

I think either style 4 post lift is pretty much a toss up, almost all being foreign made. Details, cable size, ramp thickness and tread width, foot print measurements, slack cable safeties, provisions for rolling jacks, shipping cost, pick up or delivery options, are things to consider before deciding on a certain brand.

I see no reason why the Direct Lift would not be a good choice. There is one here in town that is about 10 years old and has not had any issues.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,362 Posts
I remember when I was looking to buy a 4 poster that to disengage the safeties to lower it required an air compressor. This still true? A friend had a Backyard Buddy 4 poster, never ran an air compressor to lower a car, but............ sometimes you would have to stop and raise it again, one safety would not disengage and you would see the thing trying to come down crooked. Obviously would be a disater if you tried to continue! Maybe this is why some companies use air to disengage the safeties in case the cables are not adjusted correctly in all four corners?

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Mike, I only came across 1 company that advertises the air release safety stop locks, Bend Pac.

As far as the mechanical releases, if a safety stop is hanging up, from what I have read and been told, it does need one cable adjusted so the stops all engage at the same time. The mechanical linkage system, (round rods, spherical ends and levers) going to all 4 columns can also sag or bind and cause this, I suppose. (Bend Pac does not have any of these parts.)

·
Registered
53,655 Posts
Bendpac uses air release for locks. From my research, nobody else does.

ARESCO in Southfield Michigan inventories Bendpac, and has many in Stock. I bought my second one this afternoon.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I remember when I was looking to buy a 4 poster that to disengage the safeties to lower it required an air compressor. This still true? A friend had a Backyard Buddy 4 poster, never ran an air compressor to lower a car, but............ sometimes you would have to stop and raise it again, one safety would not disengage and you would see the thing trying to come down crooked. Obviously would be a disater if you tried to continue! Maybe this is why some companies use air to disengage the safeties in case the cables are not adjusted correctly in all four corners?
There are two adjustments on the top of each column on most 4 post lifts. Cables adjustment for leveling,and lift ladder adjustment,for fine tuning the mechanical release. Both adjustments are threaded. At least that's how it is on my Lift Tech.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,362 Posts
So what is preferred, air-release locks or cable? For the air-release, how much compressor do you need? I assume my little 20 gallon 100 psi would suffice. I rarely use any air tools so I never had the need to buy a "real" compressor.

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
So what is preferred, air-release locks or cable? For the air-release, how much compressor do you need? I assume my little 20 gallon 100 psi would suffice. I rarely use any air tools so I never had the need to buy a "real" compressor.
I would bet a pancake compressor would run the locks. They should be small air solenoids (small volume to activate) and when everything is new (tight and correct) they shouldn't leak any air, so no continuous air flow. Just think it's like 4 air shifters in your race car, how big of a compressor do you carry in it?

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,362 Posts
I have spare pancake compressors, that would be cool if they would do the job. I have better compressors in my trailers! Keep the little pancake one for the tires on kids bikes in the neighborhood.

Hey Mark, you wanna spill the beans on pricing?

When I get my new garage built I plan on doing a four poster but with extra height so I don't have to bend over while under it. Both of my good trailers are extra height also, no ducking in either one of them!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have a bendpac , you have to utilize a regulator on the lift to keep the psi at 15psi I think (don't hold me to that exact number but its close to it).
It takes very little air to work it, hence why a separate reg for it mounted on the lift.

I have an atlas with the cable safety as well. I prefer the air over cable personally

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Mike, not counting shipping, prices were $2995 to $3995 for 4 posts.. C channel columns like the Atlas, Direct Lift, Challenger were $3500. Tube column Advantage and Wildfire were $3900. This is for 9000# extra tall, extra long.

Some companies include up to 4 accessories, some they are extra.

Some offer free shipping, but that is just a gimmick. If you are picking up your self you get a better deal, but have to pay sales tax if you are an individual.

Rolling jack lifts are near $1000 for the air type 4500# capacity. There has to be a rail inside the ramps to use one though. Some have sliding lifts.

Shipping cost varied from $300-$700+ depending on distance. But you may still have to pick it up at the local trucking hub. I will have to go 60 miles to get it, because they won't back down my long driveway to my shop.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts