Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a set of forged pistons for a 400 sbc i got .030 over. has a small dome. i already looked up the number but its not coming up. so i dont know.. so i was going to put motor together and measure it. ive never done this before but remember hearing people talk about it so figure it would be a new lesson.. i was going to get a peice of thick plastic from work and bring in a old head gasket and make a peice the size of the one cylinder and id drill and conter sink the bolts and drill a whole for the cylinder to mic the cc with.?? how far down do i have to go and what else do i need to do or know. thanks..

·
Idiot Savant
169,571 Posts
Seems like a lot of work.

Compute the cylinder volume at BDC. Put the gasket on and bolt the head down with the piston at TDC. Fill it. Write that number down.

Add it to the other one to get total volume and divide the big number by the little number. Or you can just divide the two raw numbers and add "1".

POOF!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I don't bolt the head down I just go 1" down the bore to get dome volume (with plexi block). Then do a chamber. Then add the compressed gasket thickness. My burret isn't that big so doing it in steps makes it easier (less filling). Some will argue that each step can have a potential for errors and you can stack them up but I've always had results that repeat so I stick with that method. Obviously you need to do the math after.

Corey

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like a lot of work.

Compute the cylinder volume at BDC. Put the gasket on and bolt the head down with the piston at TDC. Fill it. Write that number down.

Add it to the other one to get total volume and divide the big number by the little number. Or you can just divide the two raw numbers and add "1".

POOF!

how are you meaning by filling it with the head on ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts