Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only VFN makes a Sunbird hood to my knowledge and after talking to them I need source! They want close to $1200 for a non race weight hood with a cowl glassed on top of it. Is there any other shops out there that makes these or would want to if I supplied the steel hold for the mold? I really need to reduce weight on the car, but for that price I can just build more power to cover the added weight!

·
One day I will have a day
1,790 Posts
Is it close enough to a cavalier that it could be modified cheaper than building from scratch ???

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it close enough to a cavalier that it could be modified cheaper than building from scratch ???
Possibly, but for a small car its got a fairly large hood because of the distance between the fenders. I was going to use an 80s firebird hood but its to narrow.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what year we talking about?
77 to 80, the one in my avatar. Had a steel hood with a riveted and epoxyed cowl on it but the vibration and air speed caused it to start cracking and it looked like shit, so when I repainted the car I put another steel hood on it, cut a hole for the carb and put one of the "injector" scoops on it and I dont care for it at all!!

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you called Glasstek ? They have made molds in the past for my friends cars.
They wanted more than VFN, but that included making the mold with my hood and a cowl scoop.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump for carbon fiber hood?

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Is an olds Firenza the same style car? They have a full fender to fender hood also.. If so hairy glass makes one, and would probably make a carbon one

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
US Body Source is junk, in my humble opinion.
I gotta have a hood made for the Sunbird for weight savings. Ive found that Heads Up Composites narrowed Malibu bumper with valance is the exact width and front angle that I need to fit on my car. The fender skins and nose piece are so light there isnt really any weight savings worth buying a Monza front end for the car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
what size cowl are you wanting and how soon do you need it? There is alot going on in the shop right now but times are tough so whats anouther project?

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what size cowl are you wanting and how soon do you need it? There is alot going on in the shop right now but times are tough so whats anouther project?
I wont have everything ready to put back together until late fall/winter so there is no rush what so ever. Do you have a 77 Sunbird hood to make a mold from?

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Doesn't anybody make them for a monza?

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Yes, tons of companies do, but they arent even close to being the same.

Never mind, had a brain fart. The nose and hood lines are different between the 2.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts