Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering what type of weight advantages does a fiberglass door w/ lexan have over a gutted factory steel door w lexan? 3rd gen camaro

thanks

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
A factory steel door gutted to within an inch of it's useful life should still be heavier than a fiberglass door of equal size. That, plus a fiberglass door will usually have a lip where the lexan can mount at the top of the door. If you add the weight and hassle it takes to mount the lexan to a stock door, then a fiberglass door sets you that much further ahead. About the only advantages to the steel door is that it's already (presumably) mounted on the car, so you don't have to buy them. The only other advantage is that (again, presumably) the steel door already on your car is already painted to match the car. Other than those two circumstances, the fiberglass door is a better choice for any vehicle that is not street driven without a roll cage. If you're keeping it on the street and haven't got a cage, keep the steel doors. Otherwise, fiberglass (or carbon fiber) all the way.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well dont you have to put a frame around lexan anyways? how much lighter would you think 5 or 10? or 20lbs plus on each door?

·
WINNING ...in pArAdIsE
5,935 Posts
was wondering what type of weight advantages does a fiberglass door w/ lexan have over a gutted factory steel door w lexan? 3rd gen camaro

thanks
Two factors here are ..... the depth of your wallet AND the PITA factor .....

Wallet ? ... not a ton of weight savings here .... the WORSE $ per pound savings could only be had choosing CF over FG.

PITA ? .... FG or CF doors are a PITA ...period ....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mainly trying to get car as light as possible 3rd gen doors are heavy so i figured fiberglass w lexan would help just wasnt sure if id be loosing alot more weight with them rather then just gutting stock doors

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
The average fiberglass door is about 10 pounds bare, if you use fabricated hinges and light weight latches and all that kind of good stuff youll save even more weight. Camaro doors are DAMN HEAVY, id venture a stock door gutted weighs close to 30 pounds. My best guess (I'm doing this same thing to a 74 camaro) 30-40 pounds per side savings.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is that 30-40 lbs on each side gutted steel doors over stock steel doors or 30-40 pounds gutted doors heavier than fiberglass doors?

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
is that 30-40 lbs on each side gutted steel doors over stock steel doors or 30-40 pounds gutted doors heavier than fiberglass doors?
I haven't touched a set of 3rd gen doors, and I don't believe anyone makes them in carbon (maybe Hairy Glass does?), but I would estimate based on other doors of similar size and design that the stock doors, gutted, with crash bars still in are probably around 45 pounds each. A glass door is going to be about 14-16 pounds each, but weight (and quality) can vary widely between manufacturers when it comes to fiberglass AND carbon parts. If someone did carbon doors, they'd probably be 9-10 pounds each. So, you're looking at about a 60-pound weight savings for the pair by going with fiberglass, 70 with carbon fiber, unless you really want to Swiss cheese your metal doors, which might save you another 10 pounds total.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i think up22 sells carbon doors for them now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts