Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Glasstek Sunoco bolt hood on my 75 Camaro. The pass side hood spring stays up at the back when it's closed. I tried all kinds of adjustments and nothing has changed. I even slotted the holes a bit on the two bolts that move the hinge up and down. You have to push it down every time. It has the low tension springs on it. If I remove the spring the hood will sit down properly. Looking for some suggestions. Is it time to replace the hinges?

·
44,063 Posts
That is extremely common with Chevy hinges like that. 60s and 70s Camaros, Novas, Chevelles, etc,..etc,.. It's hard to explain but do the exact opposite that you think you should do when adjusting those hinges. If you are trying to lower the back part of the hinge/hood,...often raising the back gives you the result you are looking for. That allows the hinge to relax into it's lower position when you shut the hood.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is extremely common with Chevy hinges like that. 60s and 70s Camaros, Novas, Chevelles, etc,..etc,.. It's hard to explain but do the exact opposite that you think you should do when adjusting those hinges. If you are trying to lower the back part of the hinge/hood,...often raising the back gives you the result you are looking for. That allows the hinge to relax into it's lower position when you shut the hood.
Thanks for the reply, I spent a few hours with it yesterday and got it much better. You're right you have to do the opposite to what you think with adjustments to get the final result. I'm almost there...

·
44,063 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I spent a few hours with it yesterday and got it much better. You're right you have to do the opposite to what you think with adjustments to get the final result. I'm almost there...
Awesome,...it usually takes some time to dial them in. Sometimes, the hinge "is" just worn out and when you close the hood, because of the slack in the hinge, the back edge of the hood comes up. And a little hand pressure "down" on the hood puts it back where it belongs. That's when you know the hinge is worn out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts