Yellow Bullet Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
1. Who holds a dinner and serves during a football game at this stage of the season?
Not everybody gives a crap about foot ball. Bunch of felons kneeling for the flag and chasing other anti Americans around. About 3 seconds of action for every 5 min of time wasted. Maybe op didn’t want the crap on in his house. Can’t say I blame him.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Huh? Can't get what should've been expected? They were fully aware it was a formal dinner. Anyone who knows what formal dinner means knows EXACTLY what to expect. Wtf bro.

Do you not know what that is, also?
mr. blu sir , I was raised with formal dinners with family and extended family 3or 4 times a yr . I still enjoy formal with family , not fond of stuffy puttin on the rich crap with acquaintances . If you don't have different levels for formal you are in a different world than me . example if my mother were still alive and I was at her table for a formal dinner I might ask to be excused after the main course to watch an important game . If I was at my wife's bosses formal and he didn't offer I wouldn't ask . If you don't see the diff kindly find yourself a cactus .

·
Smart Ass Conservative
100,409 Posts
I would not be able to put up with those kids. Smacking food makes me wanna smack some body’s mouth.
Not everyone has the ultra high standards you live by and tell us about often .

·
Registered
35,610 Posts
I'm 71 and raised the same as the op. I have become more liberal with age and don't fight the first name thing. I always taught my 4 kids table manners and we always eat a meal like human beings. One thing I can't tolerate is wearing a hat at the table. I know I got that from my father, put it is something I will not tolerate. My kids knew it also, if one of their friends stayed for dinner, they told them to get rid of the hat.
Richard, that's totally different from the OP's situation. I was raised to have respectable manners at the table (and elsewhere); I get the family deal, Dad sits at the head of the table and gets served first, TV goes off, everyone stays until Dad's done, you don't come to the table just after you pulled your Turbo 400 and all of that - and I'm on board with it. My Dad was so against hats at the table he'd call out people in restaurants for wearing them. But OP's setting is a lot different from a bunch of buddies getting together for burgers on the grill, cold beer and a ball game where everything is informal and reasonable people are certainly able and willing to recognize the difference.

Bottom line, if you're not into formal, or somewhat formal, dinners - don't accept the invite. I do have to laugh, though...I can just imagine the OP serving T-bone steaks at his high-brow affair and having to watch me gnaw the bone - because that's exactly what would have happened. Just watching his reaction would be worth having my monkey ass tossed out.

·
Non me ne frega un cazzo
31,520 Posts
I would put a bag of shit on your porch and set it on fire

Before I start on my rant, I just want to say, I really think people, in general, suck. The best thing that could happen to this rock, we live on, is for all the humans, to just cease to exist.

Now, on the my rant.
I'm 73 and of an era when kids were taught manners and respect. It would have never occurred to me to call an adult by their first name. It was Miss, Mrs., Mr.. Sir, mam. Hell, I never ever called my mother, father, Grand mothers, Grand fathers, aunts uncles,by their first names. Even in my 40s-50s. Our kids and grand kids would never disrespect us by calling us by our first names. When we visit others or have people to our home, we are constantly telling the children that we are to be addressed as Mr. "Last name" of Mrs. "last name.
Now on to dinner manners and etiquette. It has become quit obvious, that the majority of meals, by most, are grabbed and eaten in front of tvs, usually in their own rooms. We've found that most adults and their children have no idea as how to act at even a relaxed sit down dinner, with real plates and silverware. And NO clue when it comes to a formal setting. Example: We had 4 couples ranging from late 20s to late 40s (well educated people) to our home, for a somewhat formal dinner. Full place setting, with fine china, real silver cutlery. Fine crystal stemware. They were asked to ware at least a jacket and tie. one guy showed up with a tee shirt, jeans and sneakers. But, he did have a jean jacket. I brought the first coarse and we could tell that no one knew what fork to use. When I brought out the main dish, two of the men said' Hey turn on the game and started to pick their plates up. I stood up pointed to the door. My wife opened the door and they left.
You know, it's a shame, that we live a world, where most have no idea what an aperitif is or a cordial. And most have no idea the difference between Liqueurs and liquors. You don't put your elbows on the table and you don't surround your plate with one arm, while hovering over it. I guess it's just not important, anymore, to have manners and know proper etiquette.

End of rant.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am also a geezer age 75. We came from a different time. People don't behave like we did. I doubt most of them have not been to a formal sit down dinner like you describe. We could go play all day and just needed to be back by dinner. Parents today raise their kids with different values. I wonder how many actually sit down at a dining table together for meals?
Yep, we are moving away from acting like humans and more like animals every day. Is "devolving" a word?
?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I'm 58 and roll with the punches, Formal...fine, TV and formal dinner I'm good, cross my fork and knife when I'm done, parallel if not done, But I'm just a regular everyday normal motherfucker. I just want to work hard, get paid good and live life the way I want, Don't want drama.
OP this ones for you

·
Registered
32 Posts
Before I start on my rant, I just want to say, I really think people, in general, suck. The best thing that could happen to this rock, we live on, is for all the humans, to just cease to exist.

Now, on the my rant.
I'm 73 and of an era when kids were taught manners and respect. It would have never occurred to me to call an adult by their first name. It was Miss, Mrs., Mr.. Sir, mam. Hell, I never ever called my mother, father, Grand mothers, Grand fathers, aunts uncles,by their first names. Even in my 40s-50s. Our kids and grand kids would never disrespect us by calling us by our first names. When we visit others or have people to our home, we are constantly telling the children that we are to be addressed as Mr. "Last name" of Mrs. "last name.
Now on to dinner manners and etiquette. It has become quit obvious, that the majority of meals, by most, are grabbed and eaten in front of tvs, usually in their own rooms. We've found that most adults and their children have no idea as how to act at even a relaxed sit down dinner, with real plates and silverware. And NO clue when it comes to a formal setting. Example: We had 4 couples ranging from late 20s to late 40s (well educated people) to our home, for a somewhat formal dinner. Full place setting, with fine china, real silver cutlery. Fine crystal stemware. They were asked to ware at least a jacket and tie. one guy showed up with a tee shirt, jeans and sneakers. But, he did have a jean jacket. I brought the first coarse and we could tell that no one knew what fork to use. When I brought out the main dish, two of the men said' Hey turn on the game and started to pick their plates up. I stood up pointed to the door. My wife opened the door and they left.
You know, it's a shame, that we live a world, where most have no idea what an aperitif is or a cordial. And most have no idea the difference between Liqueurs and liquors. You don't put your elbows on the table and you don't surround your plate with one arm, while hovering over it. I guess it's just not important, anymore, to have manners and know proper etiquette.

End of rant.

I can agree with Some people do suck

and More people should have decent manors

but everyone does not grow up in the same environment that you did so you can't expect them to know what formal dinner etiquette is, they may have never been to a formal dinner, how is a normal working class person to know what a aperitif is? We don't all grow up with a silver spoon in our hand, no reason to look down on people, why did you invite them at all, they are obviously not your kind.

·
Administrator
136,297 Posts

Now, on the my rant.

End of rant.
I agree with you on all levels. Respect is a thing of the past... Parents are too busy trying to keep up with the Jones's to raise their children ...

61 - 74 of 74 Posts